|Published||23 September 2022|
Deadline for application: 09 October 2022
WBCSD is the premier global, CEO-led community of over 200 of the world’s leading sustainable businesses working collectively to accelerate the system transformations needed for a net zero, nature positive, and more equitable future.
We do this by engaging executives and sustainability leaders from business and elsewhere to share practical insights on the obstacles and opportunities we currently face in tackling the integrated climate, nature and inequality sustainability challenge; by co-developing “how-to” CEO-guides from these insights; by providing science-based target guidance including standards and protocols; and by developing tools and platforms to help leading businesses in sustainability drive integrated actions to tackle climate, nature and inequality challenges across sectors and geographical regions.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing a combined revenue of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. Since 1995, WBCSD has been uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability, united by our vision of creating a world in which 9+ billion people are living well, within planetary boundaries, by mid-century.
WBCSD’s Food and Agriculture Pathway aims at achieving “a regenerative and equitable food system producing healthy, safe and nutritious food for all by 2050.” This goal is pursued through specific collaborations and actions along four pillars: regenerative agricultural production, equitable value distribution, healthy and sustainable consumption patterns, and finance. The work on consumption – widely known as ‘FReSH’ (Food Reform for Sustainability and Health) – works with companies on improving the nutritional profile and sustainability of their products and portfolios as well as driving broader shifts in dietary patterns to promote human and planetary health. FReSH accelerates progress on business-relevant topics including plant-forward foods, processed and packaged foods, and demand creation for healthy and sustainable eating patterns.
WBCSD is seeking a Senior Manager to oversee FReSH’s work on 1) accelerating the development and deployment of healthy and sustainable processed and packaged foods and 2) building demand for healthy and sustainable eating patterns. This is a full-time position based at the WBCSD office in Amsterdam, reporting to the director of FReSH
Responsibilities & duties
- Working with the FReSH team, member companies and select partners to develop strategies and related activities that accelerate a healthy and sustainable food system transformation, focusing primarily on the consumption end of the value chain. Activities include:
- Facilitating collaborative, pre-competitive working groups of representatives from WBCSD members companies on topics linked to healthy and sustainable consumption patterns
- Generating and evolving strategies to deliver the agreed working group goal(s)
- Overseeing the development of outputs including papers, dialogues, tools, protocols, policy asks etc. depending on gaps, needs and funding
- Engaging partners from academia, civil society and government in project work
- Organizing events/sessions linked to healthy and sustainable consumption at WBCSD’s annual meetings and select external events; speaking on behalf of FReSH/WBCSD at select events
- Contributing to strategic activities beyond FReSH, at the Food and Agriculture Pathway and the organization-wide levels
- Supporting recruitment and retention of member companies
- Managing and/or mentoring colleagues
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Master’s degree in a food system relevant discipline e.g., science, agronomy, food policy, nutrition and/or sustainability, and/or business degree with a focus on food, psychology, marketing and/or sustainability, or similar.
- Minimum of 8 years of professional experience working on food systems-related topics and/or at the intersection of food and marketing/consumer insights. At least 3 years working in the food and beverage industry.
- Deep knowledge of health, nutrition and sustainability as they relate to food products, dietary patterns, and food systems
- Expertise on psychology and/or marketing and how nudges or marketing can be leveraged for demand creation in the food sector
- Evidence of successfully managing competing priorities and ad hoc demands simultaneously, set priorities, effectively utilize available resources, identify and proactively address problems, work to deadlines
- Ability to facilitate projects and activities with diverse perspectives and interests; ability to build consensus and navigate sensitive topics
- Team player with ability to work effectively with colleagues, partners and stakeholders
- Capacity to be assertive and take initiative
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Fluency in English.
The position is full-time and based in Amsterdam but will also require some international travel with flexibility.
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterised by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
The Work Environment
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in Amsterdam, Beijing, Delhi, London, New York and Singapore
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- Regional or International relocation support
- Sustainable commuting incentives
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.