|Published||6 September 2023|
|Location||Geneva, London, Amsterdam, Netherlands|
Deadline for application: 20 September 2023
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is the premier global, CEO-led community of over 200 of the world’s leading sustainable businesses working collectively to accelerate the system transformations needed for a net zero, nature-positive and more equitable future.
We share a vision of a world in which more than 9 billion people are able to live well, within planetary boundaries, by 2050. To achieve this vision, we must collectively accelerate the required transformation of businesses, their value chains, and the systems in which they operate to limit the impact of the climate crisis, restore nature and tackle inequality.
How our community works
Our community leads positive change through our imperatives work by building the infrastructure of a better world through climate, nature and equity action. In our distinct pathways, we outline the critical transitions required in some of the significant areas of business activity to profoundly shift the systems we work in and transform them towards a better future. Together we succeed when our collective effort is rewarded through a lower cost of capital, which is the scope of our redefining value work; helping companies measure and manage risk, gain competitive advantage and seize new opportunities by understanding environmental, social and governance (ESG) information.
WBCSD stimulates progress by ideating & level-setting new best practices and trends from different expertise & sectors. By improving performance, we enable standards and protocols supported by tools and technology to solidify businesses’ sustainability competence. We build partnerships by bringing together members and external partners to create coalitions and partnerships and build scale into change. Finally, we drive the policy agenda by amplifying the voice of positive business and shaping policies collaboratively to transform the systems we work in.
Our work aims to empower business leaders to raise their ambition to achieve a better world, deliver action at speed and scale in their operations and value chains, and sharpen the accountability of their performance.
As the Senior Associate in the Office of the CEO of WBCSD, you will report directly and work closely with the Chief of Staff and play a pivotal role in supporting the CEO's strategic vision and contributing to the smooth and effective operation of the office and organization. You will work closely with the CEO, Chief of Staff, EA to the CEO, internal WBCSD employees across the organization, and key stakeholders to drive the mission of WBCSD forward and contribute to its overall success.
This role would suit a person who is a well-rounded team player, enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and across a breadth of topics, has a “can do” mentality, and consistently delivers work to a high standard. In this role, you will have the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of a CEO office, have regular exposure to people in senior leadership positions, attend high profile events, and support and influence global positive change.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Communications and Internal Operations:
- Support the day to day operations of the Office of the CEO.
- Independently or in collaboration with WBCSD teams, draft correspondence, briefings, speeches, communications materials, and presentations for the CEO, ensuring accuracy, clarity, and alignment with WBCSD's messaging and brand identity.
- Work closely with the communications team to ensure consistent external messaging.
- Provide updates to the member relations and CFO network teams on the scheduling of the CEO’s meetings with member or prospect CEOs and CFOs.
- Support with the delivery of internal and external requests.
- Support the development and delivery of robust and impactful travel plans for the CEO.
- Support effective communication, coordination, and collaboration between the CEO and WBCSD employees.
- Support the execution of the organization's strategic initiatives and long-term goals.
- Report directly to the Chief of Staff and foster a close and trusted working relationship with the EA to the CEO for seamless planning, organizing and managing of the CEO’s meeting and travel schedules.
- Stakeholder Engagement:
- Support relationship management with stakeholders, including member companies, governments, NGOs, and international organizations, particularly around the tier-1 events (World Economic Forum, COP and New York Climate Week).
- Support the CEO and Chief of Staff in meetings, conferences, and events, ensuring effective communication and fostering positive relationships, as required.
- Organizational Support and Leadership:
- Foster a positive and collaborative work environment, leading by example and promoting WBCSD's culture and values.
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and organizational efficiency, implementing best practices where applicable.
Qualifications Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field (e.g., business, sustainability, international relations); a Master's degree is preferred.
- At least four years of full-time relevant work experience or be able to demonstrate that you can deliver in this role.
- Strong understanding of sustainable development issues and their implications for businesses.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to build and maintain relationships at all levels, and engage and influence a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving abilities, with a results-oriented mindset.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, manage multiple priorities, adapt to changing circumstances, seize opportunities to do things better, and meet deadlines.
- High level of integrity, professionalism, and discretion.
- A strong team player with a ‘can-do’ attitude and enjoys contributing to a fun and effective team culture.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English is critical; additional other languages is advantageous but not essential.
- Willingness to travel internationally as required.
The position reports to the WBCSD Chief of Staff, is full-time, based in Geneva, Amsterdam or London, and requires international travel.
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterised by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
The Work Environment
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in Amsterdam, Beijing, London, New York and Singapore
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- International relocation support
- Sustainable commuting incentives