|Date Posted||19 October 2020|
WBCSD – Job description – Deadline for applications: 02/11/2020
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. Since 1995, WBCSD has been uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world where more than nine billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.
Companies across the world are stepping-up their climate commitments: setting targets to reduce emissions and align with the 1.5°C target for a climate-safe world. Setting this ambition is critical but it is only step one. Businesses need to match their ambition with robust, actionable strategies to accelerate the systems transformation we need.
We are still not on track to limit global temperature rise to 1.5°C. Mobilizing businesses to transform across all sectors and geographies is the only way to prevent dangerous, irreversible damage to our people and planet. While many companies are committing to become climate neutral, transforming systems remains challenging for many sectors, leading to inertia and failure to deliver the climate action we need.
WBCSD’s Climate & Energy program supports our members by helping them to transform their business to be net-zero emissions aligned with 1.5°C by 2050. We help them to identify what is needed to achieve net-zero emissions, the barriers to overcome and the collective actions that companies need to take jointly to accelerate the transition.
Climate and Energy projects cover workstreams to drive climate action and policy; the energy transition; natural climate solutions; and SOS 1.5, our new holistic climate action framework for companies to align with the 1.5°C goal. We work with a broad range of leading businesses and organizations.
The internship position will support the Communications Manager to develop and implement strategic communications plans and activities which help position and profile WBCSD as the leading voice of business for systems transformation in global climate and energy circles.
This role will also provide support to prepare and implement external communications and member and partner engagement activities.
Responsibilities and duties
Monitoring corporate climate, energy and sustainability developments and initiatives
- Monitoring key trends and initiatives from WBCSD members
- Building and maintaining a database for members’ activites
- Researching and monitoring corporate climate and sustainability developments and initiatives
- Drafting blogs, publication summaries and articles on climate and energy key themes
- Supporting the team with editing, proof reading and fact checking for communications products
- Support media outreach with research and compiling media briefs
- Support Communications Manager with drafting and editorial for publications
- Develop quality, targeted social media content and posts to engage members and new audiences
- Preparing quality summaries, presentations and emails for members and partners
Member and community engagement
- Support organization and logistics of strategic events and webinars to promote dialogue and amplify our work
- Support the Communications manager to mailing lists and email campaigns, tracking our reach and engagement
- Draft and monitor targeted communications with members across projects
- Tracking WBCSD’s reach and uptake of resources online using analytics to provide learnings
- Tracking membership engagement across program initiatives
- Support directors with research and drafting presentations to support pitches.
- Background and experience:
- University degree level education undertaking technical and non-technical research and writing tasks.
- Professional experience or interest gained in climate, sustainability and energy topics.
- Communications or editorial experience.
- Knowledge and expertise:
- Strong writing experience
- Experienced using Powerpoint for creating professional presentations
- An understanding of the corporate climate and sustainability landscape; the Paris Agreement and energy sector.
- Experience of writing high quality blogs, articles and summaries for general audiences.
- Knowledge and understanding of developing content and posts for Twitter.
- Experience undertaking research and monitoring: e.g. external affairs, market trends.
- Comfortable using new filesharing and collaboration platforms.
- Organization and coordination: Capacity to work independently by setting priorities and managing own project and ad hoc demands simultaneously, identify and proactively address problems and work to deadlines.
- Teamwork: Good team spirit and ability to work effectively across different teams within the organization. Experience of working on an international basis (e.g. to deal with different languages, time zones and cultural expectations).
- Communication: Engaging communicator both in person and in writing.
- Language skills: Fluency in English (written and spoken) is critical for this role.
The position is full-time and for six months and preferably based in Geneva or the United Kingdom.
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterized by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
THE WORK ENVIRONMENT:
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in London, New Delhi, Singapore and New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- International relocation support
- Sustainable commuting incentives
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.