|Published||1 July 2022|
|Location||Amsterdam, London, United Kingdom|
Deadline for application: 25 July 2022
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. WBCSD is uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world where more than nine billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.
Guided by WBCSD’s Vision 2050, the energy transformation team is committed to a sustainable energy system providing reliable and affordable, net-zero carbon energy for all. The energy system transformation is undoubtedly underway, but the current rate of change and scale of change is not rapid enough and large enough to limit warming to 1.5C and hence avoid the worst ravages of warmer planet. The energy transformation team is dedicated to addressing this climate emergency, particularly to increasing efforts to reduce and remove greenhouse gases from the atmosphere, as well as the challenges posed by loss of nature and mounting inequality.
The Energy Transformation team is hiring a full-time associate. Initially the associate will be predominantly engaged in our sustainable grids project. Importantly, the associate will be part of the larger energy team and can expect to work on various energy related projects over the coming years. WBCSD’s energy related projects encompass activities within energy generation, transmission & distribution, usage and engineered removals and are to address the climate emergency, loss of nature and mounting inequality.
Responsibilities will include
- Understand member needs, key trends in the power market, stakeholders active in this space, and relevant initiatives.
- Support development and execution of a strategy and drive the workplan.
- Plan, coordinate and help deliver workshops, webinars, facilitated meetings and other virtual and in person events.
- Work with our communications team to prepare outreach materials, presentations and publications
- Manage external stakeholders, such as funders and key NGOs/IGOs
- Maintain and build collaborative efforts e.g. with organizations within the We Mean Business Coalition
Qualifications and Experience
- Background and experience:
- University degree level education
- 3-6 years’ professional experience gained in a relevant industry setting
- Knowledge and expertise:
- Understanding of the energy system and the energy transition
- Knowledge of power grids, energy management and storage is an advantage.
- Evidence of successful project management and effective facilitation of different perspectives towards a common objective. Capacity to work independently by setting priorities within own work streams, proactively addressing problems and work to tight deadlines.
- Engaging communicator both in person and in writing, ability to adjust style of communication to suit audience (e.g. present technical topics to a non-technical audience).
- Ability to manage own projects and ad hoc demands simultaneously
- Evidence of successfully working with cross-functional teams and diverse interest groups
- Good team spirit and the ability to build, nurture and work effectively in teams of partners/stakeholders, able to interact with senior representatives of member companies.
- Experience of working on an international basis (e.g. to deal with different languages, time zones and cultural expectations).
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) is critical, fluency in additional languages is an advantage.
The position is full-time and expected to be based in Amsterdam Netherlands, London, UK or Geneva Switzerland, but will also require international travel. In exceptional circumstances, being based in our other WBCSD offices can be considered. The WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterized by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
The Work Environment
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in London, New Delhi, Singapore and New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- International relocation support
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.