February 8, 2019
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. WBCSD is uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world where more than nine billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.
The Redefining Value program helps companies measure and manage risk, gain competitive advantage and seize new opportunities by understanding environmental, social and governance (ESG) information. The external disclosure program area looks at how businesses communicate this information to the outside world.
We are offering four full-time internship positions to carry out a review of the most recent sustainability reports of WBCSD member companies. The reports will be assessed against a pre-defined framework and the findings will be used to provide confidential scoring dashboards with analysis and anonymized peer group data to WBCSD members. They will also be used as a basis for our flagship Reporting matters publication that publishes reporting trends within our membership, good practice examples and high-level recommendations on reporting.
Interns will report day to day to the Manager of the Redefining Value program.
Responsibilities and duties
- Systematically analyze approximately 50 WBCSD member companies sustainability or integrated reports against a pre-defined framework;
- Identify and write up good reporting practice examples from leading companies;
- Identify trends, commonalities and good practice examples by sector and region;
- Provide editorial support and other activities to support the project team; and
- Provide support for Global Network partners implementing the framework.
- University degree in a discipline related to sustainability or corporate communications – master’s degree is preferred;
- Fluency – both written and oral – in English;
- Ability and willingness to learn and apply our rigorous, pre-defined framework for evaluating sustainability reports in a collaborative atmosphere with fellow interns;
- Ability and willingness to read and analyze hundreds of pages of English language text each day independently once the training phase is complete;
- Ability and willingness to incorporate direct feedback from the technical lead to continue to refine analysis; and
- Proven research, analytical, writing and organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
The position is full-time and based in Geneva, Switzerland for 5 months. Candidates must be available to start full time on 4 April 2019.
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterised by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
The Work Environment:
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in London, New Delhi and New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- International relocation support
- Sustainable commuting incentives
- Annual community service
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.