August 10, 2018
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. WBCSD is uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: united by our vision of a world where more than 9 billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.
Since the adoption of the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Climate Agreement, both in 2015, we are now entering an exciting phase of work in the Climate & Energy Cluster at WBCSD. Ambitions are high across all our business solutions and we have made real progress on our action plans aiming to transform the economy. The flagship program under Climate & Energy is the Low Carbon Technology Partnership initiative (LCTPi).
A key part of LCTPi is our REscale business solution that focusses on renewable energy and the power sector. REscale is unique in that it brings together the full supply chain (incl. technology providers, utilities, demand and investors) to accelerate the deployment of renewables across markets.
We have also initiated a new project to explore the potential of new energy solutions made possible due to decarbonized energy and increasing electrification of end uses, particularly across transport and heat.
The Climate & Energy Team is hiring a full-time Associate to coordinate activities in the REscale project, reporting to the Manager. We also expect the Associate to increasingly support our New Energy Solutions project over time. The contract period will be one year with the possibility of renewal and the employee will be based at the WBCSD offices in Geneva, Switzerland.
We will be screening and interviewing candidates continuously throughout this job posting period. The position will be filled as soon as the right candidate has been identified, so do not wait until the deadline to send us your application.
Main tasks include:
- Coordinating the day-to-day activities of the REscale business solution: this includes running regular group calls, planning and holding workshops and webinars, drafting deliverables, ensuring targets and milestones are met, and managing continuous engagement of member companies. The work stream on Corporate Renewable Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) is the dominant feature of REscale.
- Delivery of REscale materials (such as reports, guidance, fact sheets), i.e. collecting intelligence, research, drafting text, facilitating agreement between members, working with the WBCSD communication team for publications, etc.
- Collaborating with WBCSD member companies and Global Network partner organizations in outreach activities on REscale
- Scanning, analyzing and reporting on key developments in the energy and renewables business landscape
- Representing WBCSD Climate & Energy within the business community, among policymakers and other stakeholders at key meetings including WBCSD Liaison Delegate and Council Meetings, and workshops with external organizations.
- Supporting the Manager in delivery of the New Energy Solutions project (collecting intelligence, research, organizing workshops, drafting outputs, etc.)
Required competencies include:
- Background and experience:
- Master’s university degree level education with a technical/science (engineering, energy) or an economical/financial background.
- Minimum 4 years’ professional experience gained in renewable /power industry (generator, regulator, technology provider, equipment manufacturer or consultancy).
- Knowledge and expertise:
- Good understanding of electricity markets and renewable technologies, including the value proposition for renewables across the sector and their effects on power markets and grid operation.
- Given the specific work stream on Corporate Renewable PPAs, previous exposure to PPAs (either utility or corporate PPAs) is a strong advantage.
- Knowledge of the regulatory framework of electricity markets.
- The ideal candidate would have knowledge of emerging new business models across the electricity value chain and necessary regulatory changes.
- Facilitation and stakeholder engagement: Evidence of successfully aligning different stakeholders and the ability to create effective relationships with new partners or stakeholders. Capacity to be assertive and take initiative when appropriate.
- Project management: Evidence of successful project management and effective facilitation of different perspectives towards a common objective. Capacity to work independently by setting priorities within own work streams, identify and proactively address problems and work to deadlines. Experience of working on an international basis (e.g. to deal with different languages, time zones and cultural expectations).
- Communication: Engaging communicator both in person and in writing, ability to adjust style of communication to suit audience (e.g. present technical topics to a non-technical audience). Ability to build, nurture, and work effectively in teams as well as across different teams, functions and cultures within the organization.
- Multi-Tasking: Ability to manage own projects and ad hoc demands simultaneously, set priorities, effectively utilize available resources, identify and address problems, and meet deadlines.
- Language skills: Fluency in English (written and spoken) is critical, fluency in additional languages (Mandarin, Portuguese, Spanish) is an advantage.
WBCSD offers competitive employment conditions and salary, a flexible working environment and the chance to join a team of professionals who share the motivation to deliver business solutions for a sustainable world.
The WBCSD will organize the Swiss working permit application for the successful candidate and this process is simplified for candidates who are Swiss or EU nationals, or currently holders of a valid Swiss working permit. Other candidates should be aware that a working permit is subject to approval by the Swiss authorities.
Please also note that the WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.