|Date Posted||22 October 2021|
Deadline for application: 12 November 2021
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. WBCSD is uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world where more than nine billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.
Guided by WBCSD’s Vision 2050, the energy transformation team is committed to a sustainable energy system providing reliable and affordable, net-zero carbon energy for all. The energy system transition is undoubtedbly underway but the current rate of change and scale of change is not rapid enough and large enough to limit warming to 1.5C and hence avoid the worst ravages of warmer planet. The energy transformation team is dedicated to addressing this dangerous shortcoming, particularly to increasing efforts to reduce and remove green house gases from the atmosphere. As part of the overall climate and energy team, we strive to advance ambitious climate strategies and leverage the collective power of our members to accelerate climate recovery.
The Energy team is hiring a full-time manager. Initially the manager will be predominantly engaged in our low-carbon hydrogen project. Importantly, the manager will be part of the larger energy team and can expect to work on various energy related projects over the coming years. WBCSD’s energy related projects encompass activities with energy generation, transmission & distribution, useage and engineered removals.
Project management responsibilities will include
- Project scoping. Understanding of member needs, of the energy market, of stakeholders
- Project management: Planning and organizing, defining clear objectives, deadlines and milestones, resource and budget management, performance management
- Knowledge management: sharing of best practice and knowledge, creation of insight
- Policy development: developed from project knowledge and insight creation
- Communication management: project communication plan to be developed and managed with the climate and energy communication team
- Stakeholder management and collaboration: Projects are managed engaging additional stakeholders from both within WBCSD and external stakeholders. Eg. We Mean Business Coalition, IRENA,
Qualifications and Experience
- Background and experience:
- University degree level education with a technical/science (engineering, energy) or an economical/financial background.
- 7-9 years’ professional experience gained in a relevant industry setting (energy company, energy consultancy, energy-intensive /heavy industry)
- Knowledge and expertise:
- Strong understanding of the energy system and the energy transition
- Previous experience in energy-intensive sectors, particularly with regards to emission reduction pathways, is desired.
- Knowledge of hydrogen-based technologies, energy management and storage, power grids, is an advantage.
- Facilitation and stakeholder engagement: Evidence of successfully aligning different stakeholders and the ability to create effective relationships with new partners or stakeholders. Capacity to be assertive and take initiative when appropriate.
- Project management: Evidence of successful project management and effective facilitation of different perspectives towards a common objective. Capacity to work independently by setting priorities within own work streams, identify and proactively address problems and work to deadlines. Experience of working on an international basis (e.g. to deal with different languages, time zones and cultural expectations).
- Communication: Engaging communicator both in person and in writing, ability to adjust style of communication to suit audience (e.g. present technical topics to a non-technical audience).
- Teamwork: Evidence of successfully working across teams and diverse interest groups, good team spirit and the ability to contribute to, and work effectively in teams of partners /stakeholders. Ability to build, nurture, and work effectively in across different functions and cultures within the organization.
- Multi-Tasking: Ability to manage own projects and ad hoc demands simultaneously, set priorities, effectively utilize available resources, identify and address problems, and meet deadlines.
- Language skills: Fluency in English (written and spoken) is critical, fluency in additional languages is an advantage.
The position is full-time and expected to be based in Geneva Switzerland or London UK but will also require international travel. In exceptional circumstances, being based in our other WBCSD offices can be considered. The WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterised by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
The Work Environment
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in London, New Delhi, Singapore and New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- International relocation support
- Sustainable commuting incentives
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.