Manager, Communications (Redefining Value)
|Published||23 January 2023|
Deadline for application: 06 February 2023
WBCSD is the premier global, CEO-led community of over 200 of the world’s leading sustainable businesses working collectively to accelerate the system transformations needed for a net zero, nature positive, and more equitable future.
We do this by engaging executives and sustainability leaders from business and elsewhere to share practical insights on the obstacles and opportunities we currently face in tackling the integrated climate, nature and inequality sustainability challenge; by co-developing “how-to” CEO-guides from these insights; by providing science-based target guidance including standards and protocols; and by developing tools and platforms to help leading businesses in sustainability drive integrated actions to tackle climate, nature and inequality challenges across sectors and geographical regions.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing a combined revenue of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. Since 1995, WBCSD has been uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability, united by our vision of creating a world in which 9+ billion people are living well, within planetary boundaries, by mid-century.
The WBCSD Communications team is looking for a communications manager to lead cross-cutting communications activities for the Redefining Value (RV) program. The Manager is responsible for the translation and management of the consistent representation of the RV program into a strategic and effective communications approach with core messaging that supports and is in line with WBCSD’s corporate identity. The programmatic narrative should be tailored to specific on- and offline channels, and aimed to engage WBCSD’s key audiences including businesses, scientists, policy makers, financiers, and investors.
The scope of the role incorporates communications activities related to the RV program in general, and specific project requirements housed under RV like the Taskforce on Climate-related Finance Disclosures (TCFD), the Conservation and Markets Initiative (CMI) and the CFO Network.
Responsibilities & duties
- Acting as the coordinator and conduit for communications activities within the WBCSD Redefining Value (RV) program.
- Collaborate with RV Executive Vice President and WBCSD Communication Director to design the strategic communication plan and activities to support the RV strategy feeding into the broader WBCSD positioning strategy.
- Implement and (coordinate) execution of the RV communication plan to ensure regular communication outputs support the position of the RV Program, WBCSD members and the RV Executive Vice President.
- Engage with the WBCSD Communications, Marketing and Events teams to ensure consistency of the brand in external engagement efforts, and build synergies with organizational work.
- Finalize all RV publications and other content including liaising with design teams and copy editing.
- Update WBCSD website including basic video editing and photo editing and ongoing promotion of RV resources.
- Lead marketing & communications activities across Redefining Value grant funded projects including on TCFD, Stakeholder Capitalism, the Moore Foundation CMI grant.
- Manage proactively relations with relevant trade media.
- Other Communications support – as required by the RV Executive Vice President, provide support on activities of significant strategic importance such as supporting webinars, preparing presentations and member engagement activities.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor level education in a subject related to sustainability and/or communications. Master or Bachelor level education with a focus on sustainable business practices, accounting or finance would be a significant asset.
- The candidate should have 3-4 years’ work experience working in a sustainability or corporate marketing or communications role. Some knowledge of accounting and finance, corporate sustainability reporting and associated standards, guidelines and frameworks would be a significant asset.
- Previous experience working with a multidiscipline project team on an international basis to deal with differing languages, time zones and cultural expectations would be advantageous.
- Strong facilitation, presentation, and writing skills with the ability to present complex issues in a clear and compelling manner to a wide variety of audiences and stakeholders.
- Good team spirit and enthusiasm to work in a multi-cultural environment and the ability to build, nurture and work effectively in team and with project members, partners and stakeholders.
- Capacity to take initiative and work independently towards agreed objectives.
- Strong prioritization, time management and organization skills, with an ability to work effectively under pressure, whilst still paying attention to detail and maintaining a strategic overview.
- Fluent, first class written and spoken English, with other languages considered an asset.
The position is full-time, fixed term role for 12 months, with a view to becoming permanent. It will based in Amsterdam.
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterized by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
The Work Environment
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement.
- Geneva-based organization with offices in Amsterdam, Beijing, London, New Delhi, Singapore and New York City.
- Competitive compensation and benefits.
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools.
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities.
- Dynamic working atmosphere.
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions.
- Sustainable commuting incentives.
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.