|Location||NYC, United States of America|
|Date Posted||16 June 2021|
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. Since 1995, WBCSD has been uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world where more than nine billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.
WBCSD North America is the regional office for WBCSD for recruiting, engaging, and retaining members on behalf of the headquarter office in Geneva. WBCSD is an independently registered 501c3 non profit in the United States and operates on a structured basis with WBCSD.
WBCSD’s Climate and Energy program is a member-led effort with emphasis on achieving the objectives of the Paris Climate Agreement though the decarbonization of the energy system, supporting the energy transition, carbon reduction, and carbon removals while assisting our members in achieving net-zero GHG ambitions. WBCSD is not a lobbying organization, but inclusive in WBCSD’s role is supportive regional and global policy advocacy on behalf of our members, with a need for increasing visibility with policy influencing bodies that seek clarity from business leadership on the climate-energy agenda.
Additionally, with an expected growth in interest by North American companies to advance policy efforts that help enhance their climate actions and disclosure, as well as being properly represented on the regional and global stage, WBCSD is looking to engage a Climate and Energy Manager to advance the WBCSD agenda through our North America office.
The Manager will have dual reporting responsibilities to the Climate and Energy program leadership, located in Geneva, Switzerland and the WBCSD North America leadership based in New York, as part of WBCSD’s Member Relations team. The primary responsibility will be to engage, represent, and recruit North American member companies as a voice of leadership on energy transition, carbon reduction and removals, in alignment with WBCSD’s Climate and Energy advocacy work, so that business can achieve its net-zero emission objectives in concert with balanced policy and market mechanisms.
Responsibilities and duties
- Lead the North American climate/energy policy advocacy agenda in coordination with WBCSD’s Geneva leadership and the North America (NA) team
- Develop and support the climate and energy “policy asks” for NA members and in concert with a globally directed agenda (e.g. UNFCCC COP, Climate Summits etc.)
- Establish WBCSD presence as leading business voice of Climate & Energy advocacy in North America with the government, relevant platforms, industry bodies and networks.
- Explore and drive relationships with key North American (US/Canada/Mexico) business advocacy organizations
- Develop, manage, and nurture a network of advocacy influencing organizations
- Organize and champion WBCSD NA member Climate and Energy related engagements
- Represent progress and outputs for key C&E programmatic and project initiatives critical to North American member support and engagement
- Inform the WBCSD Geneva program and WBCSD North America on gaps, opportunities, and accelerators for NA and global member impact
- Establish recruiting strategy and prospecting members and increasing NA company representation in overall WBCSD membership
- In coordination with the North America office, represent WBCSD Climate & Energy and NA interests with potential grant making organizations and foundations
- BS/MS education in economics, political science, public policy or related studies
- 10 yrs private sector experience in policy and advocacy in the United States (experience in Canada and Mexico is also welcomed)
- Experience preferred in prior NGO or governmental relationships and roles
- Connections with landscape of think tanks, advocacy organizations, and advisors in policy space
- Grasps critical understanding of climate change and biodiversity, the energy transition, decarbonization, and adaptation agendas.
- Experience in international policy and supporting organizations (UN, WEF, etc.)
- Demonstrated communication and presentation skills and experience
- Demonstrated moderation skills
- Skills using Microsoft applications and CRM systems preferred
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written
- Self starter
- Team player
- Diplomacy skills
The position is full-time and based in New York at WBCSD North America, but will also require occasional national and international travel. Some consideration for residing and operating in a remote location will be given pending the qualifications of the individual.
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterised by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
THE WORK ENVIRONMENT:
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in London, New Delhi, Singapore and New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- Regional or International relocation support
- Sustainable commuting incentives
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.