|Published||15 November 2022|
Deadline for application: 1 December 2022
WBCSD is the premier global, CEO-led community of over 200 of the world’s leading sustainable businesses working collectively to accelerate the system transformations needed for a net-zero, nature positive, and more equitable future.
We do this by engaging executives and sustainability leaders from business and elsewhere to share practical insights on the obstacles and opportunities faced in tackling the integrated climate, nature and inequality sustainability challenge; by co-developing “how-to” CEO-guides from these insights; by providing science-based target guidance including standards and protocols; and by developing tools and platforms to help leading businesses in sustainability drive integrated actions to tackle climate, nature and inequality challenges across sectors and geographical regions.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and major economies, representing a combined revenue of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. Since 1995, WBCSD has been uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability, united by our vision of a world in which 9+ billion people are living well, within planetary boundaries, by mid-century.
As the earth’s atmosphere changes, businesses must adapt supply chains, business operations and processes to ensure resiliency and prevent physical, transitional and liability risks. 215 businesses disclosed financial risk totalling >US$970 billion in 2018 (CDP). TCFD has shone light on financial risks businesses face and now businesses must adapt to prevent them.
Our Climate Action program – SOS 1.5 (Safe Operating Space for 1.5°C) – supports companies from all sectors as they progress in their mitigation and adaptation journey, helping them to develop an individual strategy, identify and remove barriers, track progress and report on goals achieved. In 2023, we are launching a new project on Climate Change Adaptation, Risk and Resilience. We are seeking a Manager Climate Adaptation to lead this work.
Responsibilities & duties
- Establish and lead the Climate Adaption, Risk and Resilience offer for WBCSD members companies. Responsible and accountable for the strategy and delivery of the workstream and outputs.
- Orchestrate member working groups and deliver adaptation output in line with member expectations agreed upon during scoping exercises.
- Engage and create strong relationships with external climate ecosystem players (such as international organizations) operating in the adaptation space.
- Secure ongoing member engagement, monitor the effectiveness over time and win new program members to maximize our impact
- Represent WBCSD’s Climate Action team within the business community and among other key stakeholders in this space
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- A Master’s degree, or equivalent in environmental science or sustainability
- A thorough understanding of the current “state of play” of Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation
- 5+ years of work experience with the private sector (e.g. in a company, consultancy or similar)
- Exposure to the international Climate Change Adaptation agenda
- Ability to provide strategic guidance, highly organized and proactive with the ability to effectively prioritize and work across multiple workstreams.
- Excellent communication skills in person and in writing, with the ability to adjust style of communication to suit audience.
- Fluency in written and spoken English, other languages welcome.
- Good team spirit and the ability to build, nurture and work effectively in teams of partners/stakeholders, able to interact with senior representatives of member companies.
The position is full-time and based in a country with a WBCSD office.
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterised by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
The Work Environment
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in Amsterdam, Beijing, Delhi, London, New York and Singapore
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- Regional or International relocation support
- Sustainable commuting incentives
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.