Manager, Climate Action
|Published||28 October 2020|
Deadline for applications: 08 November 2020
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. Since 1995, WBCSD has been uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world where more than nine billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.
If we want to keep the world a safe operating space and avoid devastating consequences to people and nature, we must keep the temperature from increasing past 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels. The current emission path will lead to an approximate 4°C global temperature increase by 2100, resulting in massive economic devastation, with an estimated 30% fall in GDP per capita. Consequently, corporations are under ever-increasing pressure from employees, investors, regulators, customers, and the broader society to decarbonize.
Over 200 companies have signed the “Business Ambition for 1.5°C” pledge, committing to net-zero future, most companies are still early in their decarbonization journey, not yet delivering significant reductions in their carbon footprints. Progressing in the decarbonization journey in this way for most businesses implies an in-depth transformation along with sustained innovation in business models and products. To assist our member organisations, The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) has launched a new climate program, SOS1.5, (Safe Operating Space for 1.5°C) to support companies from all sectors as they progress in their decarbonization journey towards net zero emissions—helping them to develop an individual strategy, identify and remove barriers, track progress and report on goals achieved.
We are now looking for a senior and experienced individual to help expand and advance this program.
Responsibilities and duties
- Lead the program participants and help them:
- Ground climate ambition in company purpose
- Set climate targets and milestones
- Build a climate program in line with company strategy
- Engage, communicate, and disclose climate actions
- Develop and execute a strategy and workplan for the group.
- Run the day-to-day activities of the SOS1.5 project, which includes managing the delivery of the various work programs and holding regular group meetings and one-to-one calls with WBCSD members and partners
- Manage direct reports of WBCSD associates, member secondees and
- Plan, coordinate and deliver workshops, webinars, facilitated meetings and other virtual and in person events
- Work with our comms team to prepare outreach materials, presentations and publications
- A deep understanding of the current “state of play” of global decarbonization and the challenges of corporate decarbonization
- Management experience in complex project delivery, working with formal and informal teams to deliver results
- An action orientation with evidence of mobilizing multiple stakeholders to deliver results
- Excellent communicator skills both in person and in writing, with the ability to adjust style of communication to suit audience (e.g. present technical topics to a non-technical audience).
- Fluency in written and spoken English
The position is full-time and based in Geneva.
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterised by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
THE WORK ENVIRONMENT:
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in London, New Delhi, Singapore and New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- International relocation support
- Sustainable commuting incentives
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.