|Date Posted||25 August 2021|
Deadline for application: 08 September 2021
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. Since 1995, WBCSD has been uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world where more than nine billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.
With current efforts to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions not on track to meet the targets of the Paris Agreement, external and internal pressures to accelerate decarbonization are intensifying for the business community, which is largely seen as responsible for pulling the dial into the necessary direction. As companies advance along their decarbonization journey, all will, however, face a common challenge: accurately understanding the Scope 3 GHG emissions that occur along their value chain and typically constitute the lion’s share of their emissions. Today, these emissions remain a big unknown, in particular when considering the individual product footprint, as they are difficult to quantify and obtain.
The Carbon Transparency Partnership seeks to address this challenge by developing the methodological and technical tools required to allow for and facilitate the exchange of primary product emissions data based on a common approach. Bringing together business stakeholders from across value chains and sectors, industry-focused initiatives, standard setting bodies and leading technology companies, the ultimate objective of the project is the creation of a data sharing network which will enable and encourage emissions transparency. The resulting understanding of individual product carbon footprints will set the right tracks for targeted decarbonisation action at the needed scale by unlocking a variety of use cases within businesses and beyond.
We are now looking for a visionary and experienced individual to join an expanding team to manage and lead the development and further extension of the Partnership. This is a unique opportunity to become part of a truly ground-breaking project at the intersection of business, technology and sustainability, which has a major potential impact and presents a significant opportunity to improve the current decarbonization trajectory.
Responsibilities and duties
- Lead Partnership engagement and support members in
- Developing tangible solutions to understanding and managing their Scope 3 carbon emissions
- Defining and implementing clear strategies for the implementation of solutions on an individual organizational level
- Collaborating with different types of stakeholders across value chains and industries to ensure a joined-up ecosystem apporoach
- Engaging, communicating and disclosing resulting climate actions
- Develop and execute the workplan for the Partnership
- Run the day-to-day activities, including
- the delivery of different workstreams
- regular group meetings
- one-to-one calls with WBCSD members and partners
- Manage a team of direct reports of WBCSD staff and member secondees
- Engage with and create synergies with other program areas within WBCSD
- Plan, coordinate and deliver workshops, webinars, facilitated meetings and other virtual and in-person events
- Work with our comms team to prepare outreach materials, presentations and publications
- Represent the Partnership within the business community and among other stakeholders
- Master’s degree in business, management or sustainability or a related field
- 5-10 years of professional experience, with a minimum of 2 years in strategic management consultancy (preferable) and a proven track record in sustainability
- Good grasp of the core challenges of climate change/decarbonization and as a result the role data and technology can play to support corporate net zero journeys
- Experienced in leadership and delivery of complex projects in team settings
- Ability to manage and build consensus among diverse set of senior stakeholders from public and private sector backgrounds
- Strategic, analytical and solution-oriented mindset
- People-centric and “can do” leadership style with strong team player ethos
- Highly organized and structured working style with the ability to effectively prioritize and work across multiple topics
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, including in writing (e.g. PowerPoint)
- Fluency in written and spoken English
The position is full-time and based in location with a WBCSD office, but will also require international travel with flexibility.
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterised by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
The work environment
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in London, New Delhi, Singapore and New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- International relocation support
- Sustainable commuting incentives
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.