February 25, 2019
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. WBCSD is uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world where more than nine billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.
Packaging materials, especially Plastics, provide health, safety, sustainability and convenience benefits, helping to improve living standards, hygiene and nutrition around the world. But as the consumer class has grown in countries around the world, so too has packaging and the reliance on plastics. This has highlighted the shortcomings of today’s linear economy, resulting in mismanaged plastic (and other) waste in the environment. Overcoming this challenge calls for strong leadership and sustained action from the value chain. It will require massive investment in solutions to prevent plastic from leaking into the environment.
WBCSD is supporting the development of a global, cross-value chain Alliance to address the challenge of plastic leakage into the environment. This initiative will mobilize significant private sector resources towards investment in waste management infrastructure in geographies requiring urgent attention. WBCSD will manage the Asia Plastics Coalition, an implementation vehicle of the Alliance. WBCSD will create a team of 4-6 staff based in Singapore and Geneva that will manage the program area globally and in the Asia Pacific Region.
The Plastics and Circular Economy teams are seeking to employ a Communications Manager with 7-10 years of experience, particularly in planning and executing communication campaigns. The candidate should be a naturally creative writer who can deliver in different styles and voices; can break down complex, technical information into accessible and engaging content. Additionally, the Communications Manager is good with social platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube. This position is a one-year contract with possibility of extension based at WBCSD offices in Geneva, Switzerland.
Responsibilities and duties
- Support both the Director of Plastics and Director of Circular Economy in planning, executing and monitoring communications projects. Manage campaigns and oversee production processes for marketing and thought leadership collateral for each team.
- Provide strategic guidance and advice on best-practice to internal teams on communications projects.
- Manage contracts and support the Directors with the financial management of communications projects. Develop, maintain and strengthen relationships with external suppliers.
- Regular coordination with the central WBCSD Communications team to ensure alignment.
- Support WBCSD’s central Communications Team as time permits.
- Proactively grow WBCSD’s representation across international and influential media on both plastics and circular economy.
- Manage media enquiries and support the Directors with media relations including writing/editing media releases and managing media campaigns.
- Assist internal teams with media enquiries and ensure all external communications adhere to WBCSD Communications guidelines.
Content Strategy and Editorial
- Contribute to and drive the implementation of communication strategy for Plastics and Circular Economy
- Write and coordinate content for the Plastics and Circular Economy teams, including material for articles, interviews, newsletters, blog pieces and member communications.
- Provide editorial leadership and control for WBCSD publications and ensure all content adheres to the WBCSD’s visual identity and tone of voice, working with internal team and external agencies as necessary.
Digital Content/Social Media
- Provide compelling conceptual input to produce digital assets including video/motion-graphics and manage deliverables.
- Design and deliver social media strategy to support and increase engagement on WBCSD's social media accounts. Write, edit, re-purpose and deliver a wide variety of content for digital channels, liaising with internal stakeholders and gaining sign-off for publishing as necessary.
Events & Logistics
- Own the registration and invitation process of participants and manage events data on Salesforce.
- Provide end-to-end orchestration of events logistics, from contracting to delivery.
- Manage the events budget.
- Coordinate all suppliers as well as internal teams involved in events.
- Provide administrative support and manage event related inquiries.
- At least 7-10 years of experience in communications, including demonstrated success in developing and managing communications campaigns and activities to build brand, enhance reputation and achieve business objectives
- Strong project management skills and experience dealing with multiple demanding stakeholders and changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with communications regarding circular economy, plastics, packaging.
- International media relations experience
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Experience using MS Office products, Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Excellent written and verbal communications as well as presentation skills
- Native or fluent English language skills
- An eagle eye for detail
The position is full time and based in Geneva, Switzerland, but will also require international travel.
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterised by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
The Work Environment:
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in London, New Delhi and New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- International relocation support
- Sustainable commuting incentives
- Annual community service
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.