|Date Posted||10 May 2021|
Deadline for application: 16/06/2021
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. WBCSD is uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world where more than nine billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.
As the Advocacy & Policy intern you will join the Advocacy & Policy team in the Food & Nature program. The Food & Nature program is one of six programs at WBCSD and leads business efforts towards accelerating system transformation in the areas of food, nature and water. We do this by bringing forward strong policy signals, leadership frameworks and projects across the value chain, which deliver impact at scale where the urgent agendas of climate, nature, people and food systems intersect.
The Policy & Advocacy team supports and collaborates with the different projects across the Food & Nature program such as the Food Reform for Sustainability and Health (FReSH) and Scaling Positive Agriculture projects amongst many others. In addition, we work closely together with external partners, such as Business for Nature, the Food and Land Use Coalition and several of the UN Food Agencies such as the UN Food and Agricultural Organization.
Your role within this team would be to support the Advocacy & Policy Director and Manager for ongoing work on the Nature and Food agenda. In particular, you will support on briefing materials and creating messaging documents for all the big key events happening in 2021 (UN Food Systems Summit, UN CBD COP15, UNFCCC COP26).
Responsibilities and duties
- Supporting the quarterly policy update webinars for the WBCSD membership. This will include creating a detailed agenda, inviting external speakers, supporting the creation of slide-decks and other pre-read materials.
- Leading the creation of messaging documents on food, climate, nature and people. These can be shorter fact-sheets or longer briefing materials that will be shared with the Food & Nature companies we work with.
- Support our efforts to mobilize the business community ahead of the UN Food Systems Summit, hosted in 2021. This means you will support on CEO consultations, note-taking during the meetings and other additional support where needed.
- Support the creation of business summaries of landmark reports coming out in 2021.
- Support the development of business leadership examples, such as the collecting and writing of case studies for our website that demonstrate business action.
- Doing research, analyzing and summarizing key publications, articles and other materials that we can either share on our website or with our member companies.
- Supporting the Advocacy & Policy Director and Manager in day-to-day activities where needed.
- University level education (Bachelor / Master’s degree) with ideally a focus on sustainability.
- Previous experience working with NGOs and/or the private sector is an asset.
- Has a basic understanding of the sustainability challenges, in particular on nature, food systems and equity challenges.
- Knowledge of the UN system would be an asset.
- Is able to communicate clearly and effectively, especially since communication with the team will happen virtually.
- Has excellent writing skills and Microsoft Office skills (i.e. Word, PowerPoint)
- Is flexible, eager to learn and is not afraid to take action.
The position is full-time for the duration of 6 months (with a possibility of an extension) and based in Geneva. However, due to the COVID-19 situation, the whole team is working from home for the foreseeable future. Therefore, we will also accept applications from people that are currently not based in Switzerland.
You will be reporting to the Food & Nature Policy Manager.
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterised by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
THE WORK ENVIRONMENT:
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in London, New Delhi, Singapore and New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- Sustainable commuting incentives
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.