|Published||16 January 2023|
Deadline for application: 30 January 2023
WBCSD is the premier global, CEO-led community of over 200 of the world’s leading sustainable businesses working collectively to accelerate the system transformations needed for a net zero, nature positive, and more equitable future.
We do this by engaging executives and sustainability leaders from business and elsewhere to share practical insights on the obstacles and opportunities we currently face in tackling the integrated climate, nature and inequality sustainability challenge; by co-developing “how-to” CEO-guides from these insights; by providing science-based target guidance including standards and protocols; and by developing tools and platforms to help leading businesses in sustainability drive integrated actions to tackle climate, nature and inequality challenges across sectors and geographical regions.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing a combined revenue of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. Since 1995, WBCSD has been uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability, united by our vision of creating a world in which 9+ billion people are living well, within planetary boundaries, by mid-century.
The internship position will support WBCSD’s Redefining Value program as part of the “Embedding ESG in decision-making” and “Conservation Markets Initiative” projects.
The Conservation Markets Initiative, funded by Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, aims at integrating sustainability into mainstream business practices (strategy and purpose, materiality assessment, governance, risk and performance management). Specifically, this work will focus on engaging with a group of downstream cross-commodity global companies in the food supply and food retail sector to embed sustainability considerations with the long-term ambition of delinking business practices from natural resource degradation such as deforestation and overfishing. Building upon WBCSD’s Reporting matters methodology, the intern will support our yearly baseline assessment evaluating how food retail companies are integrating environmental, social and governance factors into their materiality, risk management, governance and performance management approaches.
Responsibilities & duties
- Systematically analyze approximately 50 company sustainability, annual or integrated reports against a pre-defined analytical framework (built upon WBCSD’s Reporting Matters methodology and criteria);
- Support the project team on development and delivery of grant objectives through research and analysis, preparing briefings on key topics to management, developing communications materials and supporting event logistics.
- Identify trends, commonalities and good practice examples from companies;
- Provide editorial support and other activities to support the project team;
- Support the tracking of WBCSD engagement activity with a broad range of companies and other stakeholders through data management systems (i.e. Salesforce).
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- University degree in a discipline related to sustainability, development, international relations, or corporate communications – master’s degree is preferred;
- Understanding of corporate sustainability reporting, accounting and finance and assurance- Knowledge of different frameworks such as SASB, GRI and <IR> is a plus.
- Proven research, analytical and organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Ability and willingness to:
- read and analyze hundreds of pages of English language text of company ESG information and prepare reports and incorporate direct feedback from the technical lead to continue to refine analysis;
- learn and apply a pre-defined framework for evaluating sustainability reports in a collaborative atmosphere with fellow interns;
- to work independently and manage workload once the initial training phase is complete
- Fluency – both written and oral – in English, other languages are considered a plus
- Good Microsoft Office Suite skills (Excel, Power Point, Word);
The position is full-time, fixed term for a period of six months. Candidates should be current holders of a valid Swiss/EU/UK working permit and/or Swiss, EU or UK national.
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterized by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
The Work Environment
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement.
- Geneva-based organization with offices in Amsterdam, Beijing, London, New Delhi, Singapore and New York City.
- Competitive compensation and benefits.
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools.
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities.
- Dynamic working atmosphere.
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions.
- Sustainable commuting incentives.
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.