|Date Posted||8 April 2021|
Deadline for applications: 22/04/2021
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. Since 1995, WBCSD has been uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world where more than nine billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.
The built environment project focuses on the transformation towards a net zero carbon, circular, healthy, inclusive and resilient built environment. The project will deepen the engagement with different actors along the value chain and provide them with the guidance and tools to act on decarbonization and circularity, and to collaborate with others in doing so.
The Intern, Transforming the Built Environment, will report to the Manager, Built Environment, to deliver the overall objectives of the project in 2021.
This is a 100% fixed term position for 8 months ideally starting in May 2021, based in Geneva, Switzerland.
Responsibilities and duties
The Intern will support the following activities:
Research and Engagement
- Support the Manager in setting up a WBCSD “Corporate Real Estate Directors Network” to develop the business case for driving the demand for net zero buildings across their commercial, logistics and industrial building stock
- Provide content support to the work on digitalization and circular built environment business case report
- Follow up with members on feedback and input
- Assist in identifying, aligning and engaging key partners
- Assist in handling member requests and queries
- Engage with internal and external stakeholder to disseminate work outputs
- Research, analyze, present and develop short briefs of latest developments or key publications
- Provide review and feedback to internal and external draft publications
- Map key stakeholders, existing initiative, activities and draft short reports
Project management support
- Support the Manager in day to day activities
- Draft minutes and notes
- Assistance in maintaining overview of project timelines, tracking progress and representation of impact
- Maintain database (Microsoft Teams) and shared project folder
- Support planning and coordination of building related activities at COP26 (Built Environment Day, Buildings Pavilion)
- Help create advocacy opportunities for business to profile their ambitious targets and action as part of the UNFCCC process, in particular during COP26
- Assist in the organization of logistics
- Participate in meetings/events as needed
- Support the organization of meetings, workshops, webinar and events.
- University degree in a discipline related to Sustainability, Economics or International Development
- Strong academic knowledge of the principles of sustainable development
- Robust understanding of the United Nation’s 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals, Climate Change, Sustainability in Cities, Circular Economy
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and deliver on project timelines/deadlines
- Willingness to take initiative
- Attention to detail
- Proven research and analytical skills and aptitude to read various reports and articles
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Microsoft Office, PowerPoint and Excel proficiency. Experience with Web Content Management, MS Teams & Salesforce
- Good organizational skills to anticipate, plan, organize and self-monitor workload
- Proven fluency in English, both written and spoken, other languages welcome.
- Good team spirit and the ability to build, nurture and work effectively in teams of partners/stakeholders, able to interact with senior representatives of member companies
- Previous internship in sustainability is a plus.
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterized by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
The work environment
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in London, New Delhi, Singapore and New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- Sustainable commuting incentives
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.