|Date Posted||4 March 2021|
Deadline for applications: 25 March 2021
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies. Since 1995, WBCSD has been uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues. Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world where more than nine billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.
The 50 Litre Home Coalition (50L Home) is a global, action-orientated, multi-stakeholder platform hosted by WBCSD. It brings together private and public organisations, policymakers, researchers, cities and citizens to address two of the world’s most pressing global challenges: water security and climate change. 50L Home is convened by the World Economic Forum, the 2030 Water Resources Group, and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development. 50L Home members collaborate to accelerate progress for SDGs 6 (clean water and sanitation), 12 (responsible consumption and production) and 13 (climate action). The Coalition’s multi-stakeholder activities are focused on four areas:
- Innovation: Co-design solutions to address challenges in water systems such efficiency, reuse, and safe access as well as in the water-energy-climate nexus.
- Implementation: Create 50L model home concepts and use learnings from pilots activities in various urban locations to inform a path to global scaling.
- Education: Reshaping city dwellers’ relationship with water to inspire and enable lifestyle changes.
- Advocacy: Advance policy and regulatory framework changes to transform water use in cities.
The Intern at 50L Home will play an active role in shaping and enabling shared innovation and piloting processes at core of the Coalition. They will articulate a collaborative innovation approach for the Coalition, which shall include: design thinking based methodologies and activities for ideation and piloting; a process to rigurously coordinate design, technical and policy material for members and partners participating in piloting or in-city activities; and an approach to developing lessons learned summaries to inform the partners and inform social media communications.
50L Home is a new initiative which will require the Intern to work in an agile and creative manner. We work flexibly at WBCSD, and encourage applications by professionals from any background, identity, as well as guardians/carers who pursue flexible working arrangements.
Responsibilities and duties
- Identifying and developing methods and ideas to maximise the value and creativity of innovation activities within the coalition
- Coordinating innovation and implementation activities to test and improve the collaborative innovation approach. This may include supporting group calls and webinars, organising meetings, and drafting deliverables
- Drafting images, schematics, work plans and budgets for piloting activities associated with the collaborative innovation approach, including charettes, prototyping, and co-design workshops in cities globally
- Systematizing lessons from piloting activities as well as secondary sources; drafting text and inputs for knowledge products such as infographics, reports, guidance, and technical notes
- Supporting the 50L Home Director in creating content for secretariat communications and engagement activities such as group calls, progress updates and social media.
- University (Bachelor or Masters) degree level education with a background in environmental or water sciences, geography, innovation and public Policy, and/or the built environment (architecture, civil/building engineering, urban planning).
- 0-3 years of professional experience; a genuine interest in innovation and built environment-related fields (construction, urban planning, architecture).
- Specific skills:
- Knowledge and expertise: Good understanding of stakeholder engagement, public consultation and design thinking methods; knowledge of building design and engineering standards is a plus.
- Project management: Interest in learning basic project management skills; project management experience is a plus.
- Client relationships: Cultural awareness and ability to manage key relationships with a diverse membership base.
- Communication: Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English, and a special aptitude for writing with diverse audiences in mind. French is highly desirable. Other languages where the Coalition operates (Chinese, Hindi/Marathi and Spanish/Portuguese) are a plus.
- Creativity: Ability to communicate visually and engage with/ contribute to innovation activities and design thinking processes. Awareness of global development agendas is highly desirable.
- Genuine passion for addressing climate change in people’s everyday life and contributing to human wellbeing, particularly for the poor and vulnerable.
- Reliable, diligent and consulting work attitude, and ability to travel internationally.
The position is full-time (or 80% part-time for qualified candidates) and can be based in Geneva, New York, or New Delhi.
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterised by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
THE WORK ENVIRONMENT:
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in London, New Delhi, Singapore and New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- Sustainable commuting incentives
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.