Head, One Planet Business for Biodiversity (OP2B)
|Published||6 December 2021|
Deadline for applications: 04 January 2022
About WBCSD and OP2B
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. Since 1995, WBCSD has been uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues. Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world where more than nine billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.
One Planet Business for Biodiversity (OP2B) is a unique cross-sectorial, action-oriented project of WBCSD with a specific focus on agriculture, initiated within French President Macron’s One Planet Lab framework, launched at the United Nations Climate Action Summit in New York on 23 September 2019. The coalition is determined to drive transformational systemic change and catalyze action to protect and restore cultivated and natural biodiversity within the value chains, engage institutional and financial decision-makers, and develop and promote policy recommendations for the 2021 CBD COP15 framework.
Actions are focused around three pillars:
- Scaling up regenerative agricultural practices;
- Boosting cultivated biodiversity and diets through product portfolios;
- Eliminating deforestation / enhancing the management, restoration and protection high-value natural ecosystems
On these pillars OP2B runs tangible initiatives to:
- Advance the biodiversity agenda of its members companies (supporting commintments definition, building common frameworks of action e.g. regenerative agriculture framework)
- Advocate for biodiversity and agriculture, through participation to high-level events (e.g. IUCN, COP26, CBD COP15), and contribution to regulatory processes
- Inmpulse on-the-ground collective actions (e.g. regenerative agriculture, financing)
- Catalyze expertise and relationship with the ecosystem (e.g. sharing of best practices and learnings from pilot projects, engaging with partners from academics, NGOs, coalitions)
The role of the Head, OP2B , full time, will be critical to build on the current momentum on Reg Ag, promote the work on Agro-biodiversity in the companies portfolio and go deeper on what the business case of “Restoration”. The Head, OP2B, will be responsible for managing the OP2B team and secretariat (2 managers, an associate and ad-hoc third parties/ partners), overseeing the strategy development, workplan advancement, budget & administrative matters. The Head, OP2B is also responsible for a re-fresh of the governance to create a more robust structure to scale up the work and its impact.
Further responsibilities will include:
- Formulating strategies and concept;
- Leading and supervising;
- Relationship building, networking and advocacy.
Understanding the challenge and the criticality of the agriculture transformation agenda, we are seeking a world-class leader to drive this transition with key skills including:
- An understanding of the importance and relevance of Natural based Solutions to transform Agriculture and nature restoration and an understanding of the interplay between Agriculture, People and Nutrition;
- A proven ability to manage complex stakeholder relationships while moving progress forward;
- An understanding on large and smaller Corporate way-of-working and proven ability to unlock challenges;
- Credibility at Corporate senior level in developing operational strategy, policy request, proposing and shaping projects;
- A commitment to teamwork but also an ability to work independently in matrix-based organisations;
- Excellent team management skills;
- Competent and confident communication and facilitation skills.
Key Performance Metrics will include:
- Satisfaction of members through an annual survey rating;
- Successful development and implementation of the workplan rolling yearly;
- Successful migration of OP2B to WBCSD from design to implementation of outputs including guidance for members on appropriate standards for NCS demand, supply and market measures;
- Support the dissemination of a number of “lighthouse” OP2B projects;
- Management of a strategic communications campaign to strengthen the OP2B narrative on the necessity of investing in Agriculture transformation;
- Development of beneficial relationships with intergovernmental organisations, civil society etc to position Regenerative Agriculture as a credible and sustainable solution for the future of Agriculture;
- Recruit and Expand the membership of OP2B , especially in US and Asia;
- Coordinate fund-raising to secure necessary resources to execute on NCSA mission if and when additional resources are required.
Key motivation for the right candidate
- Opportunity to shape an exciting and impactful role on the emerging and high profile Regenerative Agriculture Agenda;
- Position OP2B as the leading platform for agribusiness action on Regenerative Agriculture;
- Global international role highly visible by top management;
- Experienced Change agent : demonstrated impact on shaping the context on 2 strategic levers companies on the biodiversity, climate and equity imperatives
- Experienced collaborator across sectors and stakeholder groups
The ideal candidate will have significant senior business experience integrating sustainability into corporate strategy and operations, coupled with successful NGO and/or government interaction and a deep understanding of the challenges and opportunities across various sectors. The candidate should have the following competencies:
- Background: Master’s degree level education with a preference for technical and policy background / in a relevant discipline (economics, sustainability, business, international relations, environmental science). Industry experience and good understanding of the sustainability and nature-related landscape and trends.
- Experience: Minimum 15 years’ experience, of which at least 10 years in the private sector. More than 10 years of senior level leadership experience including strategy development, influencing and advocacy in the domain of sustainable development
- Strategy & Project management: Demonstrate superb project management / organisational skills to strategically structure a multi-year program with accountability for meeting budget and schedule commitments while pragmatically delivering real results. Experience in supporting the development of new initiatives from incubation to implementation.
- Facilitation and stakeholder engagement: Evidence of successfully engaging with a wide range of different stakeholders (from CEO to technical experts, governments and other stakeholders) and creating shared vision and partnerships across diverse groups.
- Communication: Engaging communicator across cultures both in person and in writing such that complex ideas, thoughts and concepts are clearly articulated for a general audience. An ease in briefly summarizing the essence of issues and means to address them.
- Bring and convey passion and drive to attract and motivate additional companies, organizations and individuals to the project.
- Show diplomacy and sensitivity to different opinions and approaches, managing a range of views and interests with first class negotiating and facilitation skills. Seasoned judgment, able to make decisions, justify recommendations, and be responsive, clear and firm with colleagues and partners. Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills and well-established networks among public sector and private sector in particular; ability to develop an open and inclusive space to collaborate and manage productive relationships with partners, consultants, and others who contribute to the success of the program.
- Language skills: Fluency in English (written and spoken) is critical, fluency in French and additional languages is an advantage.
This is a full-time position based in one of WBCSD’s offices – in Geneva, London or Amsterdam (with potential for flexible working). The Head, OP2B will report to OP2B Board and WBCSD Executive Vice President and will work closely with the Food and Agriculture Pathway Directors as well as key external partners such as Business for Nature (B4N).
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterized by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with various regional offices
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- International relocation support
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.