November 15, 2019
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. WBCSD is uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world where more than nine billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.
Since the adoption of the Sustainable Development Goals, the Paris Climate Agreement and the IPCC Special Report on the impacts of 1.5°C Global Warming, we are in an exciting phase of work in the Climate & Energy Program at WBCSD. The key aim of our program is to foster global, cross-sectoral collaboration to accelerate the decarbonization of all sectors to net-zero emissions.
Our vision for a sustainable energy system is reliable and affordable, net-zero-carbon energy for all – ensuring a positive impact on people and environment. Our Energy Solutions project works to implement that vision across three workstreams:
- In Integrated Energy Strategies, we support our members in developing and implementing an integrated energy strategy and setting 1.5°C compatible emission reduction targets for energy use.
- In Technology Solutions, we support companies to collaborate along the energy value chain to increase their capability to implement or develop energy solutions for electricity (REscale), heating & cooling (e.g. hydrogen, bioenergy, or solar thermal/cooling) and energy management and storage.
- In the Energy Sector Forum, utilities and technology providers create sustainable business strategies in line with a 1.5°C compatible pathway for decarbonization and take collective actions towards the SDGs.
The Climate & Energy team is hiring a full-time Manager for the Energy Solutions project to progress the on-going workstream on Integrated Energy Strategies, and to scope and establish a new workstream under Technology Solutions for heating & cooling in buildings and industry. For the latter, the objective is to build a global platform - convening companies and external stakeholders – to collaboratively address barriers and progress non-competitive opportunities with the aim of increasing deployment of low-carbon heating and cooling solutions. This will also include the enabling of sector coupling with the power sector to support the electrification of energy end-uses. The workstream is expected to focus on cutting edge technology solutions with a global impact.
The contract period will be initially for one year with the possibility of a permanent contract. The employee will be based at the WBCSD offices in Geneva, Switzerland.
We will be screening and interviewing candidates continuously throughout this job posting period. The position will be filled as soon as the right candidate has been identified, so do not wait until the deadline to send us your application.
Responsibilities and duties
Take responsibility for WBCSD’s work on heating & cooling in buildings and industry
- Scope the work program by listening to WBCSD members’ needs, understanding of market developments and using the strength of WBCSD as a membership organization of multinational companies.
- Implement the work program – e.g. by increasing demand for heating & cooling solutions, facilitating the development of innovative business models or raising awareness with investors.
- Develop policy recommendation emerging from the work.
- Re-direct the work program as technology solutions mature and identify the next barriers on the path towards a sustainable energy system.
- Throughout the process, work with WBCSD’s energy team, colleagues in other programs and member companies to deliver first-class value to our members.
Manage the project with members and partners
- Ensure project milestones are met and deliverables are finalized in time.
- Organize and moderate or facilitate webinars and workshops.
- Draft project materials (such as business cases, guidelines, reports), i.e. collect intelligence, draft text, facilitate agreement between members, work with the WBCSD communication team for publications, etc.).
- Collaborate with other WBCSD programs such as cities and transport, and circular economy.
- Evaluate and support the roll-out of WBCSD programs at country level via the Global Network Partners.
- Contribute to grant funding applications (recurring or new) to co-fund the Energy Solutions project activities.
Engage with external stakeholders
- Facilitate member engagement in the project and their contributions, build and manage relationships with members, seek group and one-on-one conversations with member companies to understand their needs.
- Collaborate with WBCSD member companies and Global Network partners in outreach activities.
- Represent WBCSD within the business community, among policymakers and other stakeholders at key events including WBCSD’s Liaison Delegate and Council Meetings, IRENA, Clean Energy Ministerial, etc.
- Background and experience:
- Master’s university degree level education with a technical/science (engineering, energy) or an economical/financial background.
- 7-9 years’ professional experience gained in a relevant industry setting (energy-intensive /heavy industry, energy company and/or consultancy).
- Knowledge and expertise:
- Strong understanding of energy technologies for heating / cooling / energy storage - ideally from an energy-intensive company perspective - and emerging business models across the energy value chain.
- Previous experience in energy-intensive sectors, particularly with regards to emission reduction pathways, is a definitive benefit.
- Knowledge of hydrogen-based technologies, bioenergy use for industrial processes, or energy management and storage is an advantage.
- Facilitation and stakeholder engagement: Evidence of successfully aligning different stakeholders and the ability to create effective relationships with new partners or stakeholders. Capacity to be assertive and take initiative when appropriate.
- Project management: Evidence of successful project management and effective facilitation of different perspectives towards a common objective. Capacity to work independently by setting priorities within own work streams, identify and proactively address problems and work to deadlines. Experience of working on an international basis (e.g. to deal with different languages, time zones and cultural expectations).
- Communication: Engaging communicator both in person and in writing, ability to adjust style of communication to suit audience (e.g. present technical topics to a non-technical audience).
- Teamwork: Evidence of successfully working across teams and diverse interest groups, good team spirit and the ability to contribute to, and work effectively in teams of partners /stakeholders. Ability to build, nurture, and work effectively in across different functions and cultures within the organization.
- Multi-Tasking: Ability to manage own projects and ad hoc demands simultaneously, set priorities, effectively utilize available resources, identify and address problems, and meet deadlines.
- Language skills: Fluency in English (written and spoken) is critical, fluency in additional languages is an advantage.
The position is full-time, one year contract starting ideally from 1 January 2020 and based in Geneva, Switzerland, but will also require international travel. The WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterised by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
The Work Environment
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in London, New Delhi, Singapore and New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- International relocation support
- Sustainable commuting incentives
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.