|Date Posted||14 May 2021|
Deadline for application: 28/05/2021
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. Since 1995, WBCSD has been uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world where more than nine billion people are all living well and within planetary boundaries, by 2050.
WBCSD is seeking an experienced, motivated Director to lead the policy, communications, strategy and advocacy team within the Climate and Energy Program of WBCSD. Reporting to the Managing Director for Climate and Energy and working closely with the other project directors, this role is responsible for representing the interests of our WBCSD members, building the WBCSD brand, and ensuring strategic alignment with the workplan of WBCSD projects . The position would ideally be based in Geneva but this is flexible – candidates working remotely in a time close to CET or a willingness to work in CET / UK time zones will be considered.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Represent WBCSD and our members’ interests across the global climate and energy policy landscape, ensuring that we achieve maximum global impact at global climate events as the leading global sustainable business organisation.
- Decode and translate climate and energy policy to shape and focus our climate and energy project deliverables and maximise impact within our programs
- Utilize knowledge of climate and energy landscape to deliver key insights and high-level analysis for our membership
- Identify opportunities for WBCSD to drive impact externally using policy messaging, campaigns, media engagement and thought leadership
- Work closely with the MD and Leadership Team for Climate and Energy to create powerful policy messages on behalf of WBCSD and our members and advocate for their implementation using external networks and media.
- Lead a highly effective team to deliver specific policy messages, communications and campaigns, structured around major internal WBCSD events and external events such as COPs, G7, G20
- Build and maintain an effective network of policy, advocacy and communication professionals across other organizations such as the Marrakesh partnership, High Level Action Champions, UN Energy and climate teams, members, partnership organizations and partnership funding alliances
- Work effectively with other WBCSD Program areas and central functions and resources to ensure strategic alignment across the organization
Skills and Requirements
- Demonstrated experience of decoding policy and turning it in to practical action that delivers products, campaigns and action
- Knowledge, competence and confidence in climate and energy policy trends and an ability to represent WBCSD at the highest level at global policy platforms
- Experience in creating opportunities leading change and delivering results in a complex stakeholder environment
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral with an ability to synthesise complex information quickly and communicate key messages
- Proven leadership skills with extensive team management skills and experience of motivating a world class team
- A background or experience in strategy development and communications would be an advantage, as would a one world perspective/experience would be an advantage in our global organisation
The Work Environment:
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterized by diversity of gender, culture, nationality, professional discipline and work experience and sexual orientation.
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in London, New Delhi, Singapore and New York City however working from home is possible.
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flextime and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- Sustainable commuting incentives
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.