November 19, 2018
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees.
Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe.
WBCSD is uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: united by our vision of a world where more than 9 billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.
WBCSD is seeking a professional to join the Climate & Energy team on a permanent basis. This is a full-time position, based at the WBCSD offices in Geneva, Switzerland, reporting to the Climate Change Policy Manager. We are looking for candidates in a position to start in January 2019.
Main tasks include:
Supporting the Climate Change Policy Manager in the delivery of WBCSD climate policy and stakeholder engagement priorities including:
- Coordination of WBCSD and business presence at key global and regional events (e.g. UNFCCC, CEM, Climate Summits etc.).
- Provide key logistics support for the delivery of WBCSD’s international climate engagement.
- Coordination and analysis of input from WBCSD teams and members on policy-asks and messaging vis-à-vis key national or regional jurisdictions (e.g. EU, China, US, California etc. …) and global levels.
- Research, analysis and communication of key climate and energy policy and regulatory developments.
Required competencies include:
- Education: Master’s university degree level education with an economic/political sciences focus. Other degrees will be accepted if candidate has experience of policy analysis/development, particularly with focus on climate change or energy.
- Experience: minimum 2 years’ relevant experience, preferably including experience of working with the private sector.
- Knowledge of key climate change policy and regulatory concepts and trends. Macro-level understanding of climate science, the energy system or other relevant industries considered an advantage.
- Research and analysis: Strong evidence of analyzing complex issues and presenting key insight. Focusing on identifying opportunities in the most relevant and essential.
- Teamwork: Evidence of successfully working across teams and diverse interest groups, good team spirit and the ability to contribute to, and work effectively in teams of partners/stakeholders.
- Project management: Capacity to work independently and take initiative. Evidence of successfully managing competing priorities and ad hoc demands simultaneously, identifying and proactively address problems, working to deadlines.
- Communication: Good communicator across languages and cultures both in person and in writing.
- Language skills: Fluent in English (written and spoken), fluency in additional languages is an advantage.
The organization offers:
The WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking, and action-oriented organization, characterized by diversity of gender, nationalities, and work experiences.
We are guided by the following values:
- Sustainability generalist positions with exposure to and direct influence of the global sustainable development agenda.
- The opportunity to facilitate groups made up of senior business executives and sustainability leaders with diverse interests to reach a common goal or vision.
- Prospects for challenging hands-on experiences and enhanced learning through exposure to international working group and high-level meetings.
- Springboard to independent consulting and sustainability-focused roles in private and public organizations through the network and skillset acquired or enhanced at WBCSD (negotiation, diplomacy, multi-stakeholder approach, etc.).
- Internal promotion & lateral career move opportunities.
In terms of work environment, we offer a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in New Delhi and New York City.
- Competitive compensation and benefits.
- State of the art facilities and ICT enabled working tools.
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities.
- Dynamic working atmosphere.
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions.
- International relocation support.
- Sustainable commuting incentives.
- Annual community service.
The WBCSD will organize the Swiss working permit application for the successful candidate and this process is simplified for candidates who are Swiss or currently holders of a valid Swiss working permit. Other candidates should be aware that a working permit is subject to approval by the Swiss authorities.
Please also note that the WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.
WBCSD’s Climate and Energy site:
WBCSD on LinkedIn: