|Date Posted||15 July 2020|
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. WBCSD is uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world where more than nine billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.
The WBCSD is seeking a professional to join the Climate & Energy team in the role of Climate Policy Manager. This is a full-time position based at the WBCSD offices in Geneva, Switzerland.
Responsibilities and duties
- Manage the development of energy and climate change policy messages and the production of technical climate policy briefs for business and policymakers.
- Monitor climate policy and carbon market dynamics, specifically around nature-based solutions, including current and future trends of compliance and voluntary carbon markets, including the international political context.
- Manage the development of WBCSD climate change policy strategy vis-à-vis global forums such as the UNFCCC and G20, and policymakers across key jurisdictions in the lead up to and at international moments.
- Monitor, research, and analyse key economic and climate policy and regulatory developments, and identify primary advocacy targets at key moments.
- Collaborate with WBCSD member companies, and partner organizations in outreach activities towards policymakers.
- Represent WBCSD’s climate change work within the business community, among policymakers and other stakeholders such as the We Mean Business Coalition, the Marrakech Partnership, and others.
- Work directly with the WBCSD communications teams to develop and execute effective communication strategies.
- Manage up to 2 direct reports.
- Experience: minimum 8 years’ relevant experience, of which at least 4 years in climate policy/advocacy. Experience private sector multinational company in a policy analysis/development role a major advantage.
- Education: Master’s university degree level education with an economics/political sciences focus. Other degrees will be accepted if candidate has strong policy analysis/development experience.
- Knowledge and expertise: Fluency in key economic and climate change policy and regulatory concepts, including technical expertise on carbon markets, climate change policy aspects and understanding of fiscal policy making. Experience of analyzing legislative and policy texts, and issue advocacy. Evidence of effective translation between policy/regulation and business strategy. Strong understanding of the outlook for key climate policy trends.
- Facilitation and stakeholder engagement: Evidence of successfully facilitating complex projects and meetings with many diverse interests, good team spirit and proven ability to build, nurture, and work effectively in (new) teams of partners/stakeholders. Capacity to be assertive and take initiative when appropriate. Ability and desire to work with coalition partners on developing and executing policy advocacy strategies to achieve policy goals and desired outcomes Experience in developing strategic partnerships with relevant agencies, non-governmental organizations, and industry.
- Project management: Attention to detail and proven ability to manage and lead the execution of complex multi-stakeholder projects or campaigns, including ability to manage competing priorities and ad hoc demands simultaneously, set priorities, effectively utilize available resources, identify and proactively address problems, working to deadlines.
- Communication: Excellent communicator across languages and cultures both in person and in writing. Evidence of ability to translate between policy and business audiences, and to work closely with communications teams on messaging and content.
- Language skills: Fluent in English (written and spoken). Fluency in additional languages is an advantage.
The position is full-time and based in Geneva, Switzerland, but will also require international travel.
THE WORK ENVIRONMENT:
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterised by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in London, New Delhi, Singapore and New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- International relocation support
- Sustainable commuting incentives
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.