August 15, 2019
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. WBCSD is uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world where more than nine billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.
Climate & Energy is one of the flagship programs at WBCSD. We are a team of experts focused on providing our global members with opportunities to take action on climate. We work with business to develop, implement and scale innovative solutions across the energy, industrial and transport systems of the economy to fulfil climate ambitions in line with the latest scientific assessments. Together, we’re shaping climate action at local, national and international levels – all the while encouraging governments around the world to ramp policies that encourage deep decarbonization. In short, we are the business voice for climate action.
The Climate & Energy portfolio of projects currently includes: Climate Policy (focus on UNFCCC and NDCs), New Energy Solutions (scaling up renewables, renewable electrification of end uses) and Natural Climate Solutions (land-based offsets)
The 1.5ºC report presented by the IPCCC shows that if we want to keep the earth as a safe operating space for people and business, we must accelerate the decarbonization plans in all sectors and in the whole economy. Our efforts enable public-private collaboration.
We are looking for an experienced and dynamic Director to lead the Climate & Energy program. This is a full-time, permanent position based at the WBCSD offices in Geneva, Switzerland, reporting to a member of the WBCSD Senior Management Team member.
The successful candidate will facilitate partnerships across the different value chains (energy, industry and transport) to accelerate business decarbonization plans and removing existing barriers to scale and acceleration. The director will oversee the work program, working closely with member companies, partners and other WBCSD teams to ensure tangible impact. This position offers a unique opportunity to impact the current business climate action plan by leveraging the impact of collaborations. It also provides insights into multinational companies’ strategies, risks and opportunities, beyond the energy sector. The position is also very visible externally and the candidate will be expected to act as an ambassador and spokesperson for WBCSD across meetings, events and media.
Responsibilities and duties
- Facilitate impactful partnerships across different value chain to accelerate climate action aligned with the Paris Ambition and the latest IPCCC report
- Create opportunities to scale up business ambition and solution implementation
- Strengthen and develop a relevant and impactful project portfolio of business solutions
- Position WBCSD as the leading voice for business solutions across key global climate policy forums, debates and analysis (e.g. UNFCCC)
- Strengthen value-adding long-term relationships with relevant partner and funding organizations
- Support staff development and manage talent pipeline
- Manage annual planning and budgeting
- Develop the strongest team in the industry
- Maximize quality and impact of projects within Climate & Energy
- Ensure the impact of all projects areas is widely communicated and understood
- Grow member engagement in Climate & Energy projects
- Identify and win resources to support projects
- Leverage Climate & Energy network and projects to recruit new WBCSD members
- Position WBCSD strategically with partners and stakeholders across global climate events and programs.
- Relationship management (internal and external)
- Monitor projects against plans and deliverables
- Oversee reporting requirements
- Manage several direct reports, secondments and indirect reporting lines
- Support team members on content development as required
- Represent the WBCSD and the program to relevant global audiences, with conviction and polish, including media activities, stakeholder and other key events.
- Create and review communications materials
- Sign-off WBCSD Climate & Energy content and positions
The ideal candidate will have significant senior business experience on climate change and energy, coupled with successful NGO and/or government interaction and a deep understanding of the challenges and opportunities across various sectors. The candidate should have the following competencies:
- Background: PhD or Master’s degree level education with a preference for technical and policy background. Industry experience and good understanding of the climate and energy landscape and trends.
- Experience: minimum 15 years’ experience, of which at least 10 years in the private sector in energy or industry.
- Strategy & Project management: Demonstrate superb project management / organisational skills to strategically structure a multi-year program with accountability for meeting budget and schedule commitments while pragmatically delivering real results.
- Facilitation and stakeholder engagement: Evidence of successfully engaging with a wide range of different stakeholders (from CEO to technical experts, governments and other stakeholders) and creating shared vision and partnerships across diverse groups.
- Capacity to work independently, proactively address problems and work to deadlines.
- Communication: Engaging communicator across cultures both in person and in writing, ability to adjust style of communication to suit audience (e.g. present technical topics to a non-technical audience).
- Multi-Tasking: Ability to work with and for multiple work streams simultaneously.
- Bring and convey passion and drive to attract and motivate additional companies, organizations and individuals to the project.
- Show diplomacy and sensitivity to different opinions and approaches, managing a range of views and interests with first class negotiating and facilitation skills.
- Language skills: Fluency in English (written and spoken) is critical, fluency in additional languages is an advantage.
The position is full-time and based in Geneva, Switzerland, but will also require international travel.
The WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking, and action-oriented organization, characterized by diversity of gender, nationalities, and work experiences.
The Work Environment:
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in London, New Delhi and New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- International relocation support
- Sustainable commuting incentives
- Annual community service
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.