January 6, 2019
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development is a CEO-led organization of forward-thinking companies that galvanizes the global business community to create a sustainable future for business, society and the environment. Together with its members, the council applies its respected thought leadership and effective advocacy to generate constructive solutions and take shared action. To make sustainable business more successful.
Climate & Energy is a flagship program at WBCSD. We are a team of experts focused on providing our global members with opportunities to take action on climate. We work with business to develop, implement and scale innovative solutions across energy, transport and the economy. Our efforts enable public-private collaboration to fulfil climate ambitions in line with a well below 2°C scenario. Together, we’re shaping climate action at local, national and international levels – all the while encouraging governments around the world to ramp policies that encourage deep decarbonization. In short, we are the business voice for climate action.
The Climate & Energy portfolio of projects currently includes: Climate Policy (focus on UNFCCC and NDCs), REscale (scaling up renewables), New Energy Solutions (renewable electrification of end uses), REmobility (renewables coupled with electric mobility), Natural Climate Solutions (land-based offsets) and Transforming Heavy Transport (focus on freight, aviation and shipping).
We are looking for a dynamic and talented Director to lead the Climate & Energy program. This is a full-time, permanent position based at the WBCSD offices in Geneva, Switzerland, reporting to Maria Mendiluce, Managing Director and WBCSD Senior Management Team member.
The successful candidate will direct the work program, working closely with member companies, partners and other WBCSD teams to ensure tangible impact. This position offers a unique insight into multinational companies’ strategies, risks and opportunities, beyond the energy sector. The position is also very visible externally and the candidate will be expected to act as an ambassador and spokesperson for WBCSD across meetings, events and media.
Role & Responsibilities
- Strengthen the WBCSD business narrative on climate action
- Position WBCSD as the leading voice for business solutions across key global climate policy forums, debates and analysis (e.g. UNFCCC)
- Strengthen and develop a relevant and impactful project portfolio of business solutions
- Strengthen value-adding long-term relationships with relevant partner and funding organizations
- Create opportunities to scale up business ambition and solution implementation
- Support staff development and manage talent pipeline
- Manage annual planning and budgeting (approx. USD 2)
- Maximize quality and impact of projects within Climate & Energy
- Ensure the impact of all projects areas is widely communicated and understood
- Grow member engagement in Climate & Energy projects
- Identify and win resources to support projects
- Leverage Climate & Energy network and projects to recruit new WBCSD members
- Position WBCSD strategically with partners and stakeholders across global climate events and programs.
- Initiate new projects and carry out exit strategies for old projects
- Relationship management (internal and external)
- Monitor projects against plans and deliverables
- Oversee reporting requirements
- Manage several direct reports, secondments and indirect reporting lines
- Support team members on content development as required
- Represent the WBCSD and the program to relevant global audiences, with conviction and polish, including media activities, stakeholder and other key events.
- Create and review communications materials
- Sign-off WBCSD Climate & Energy content and positions
Sought competencies include:
The ideal candidate will have significant business experience on climate change and energy, coupled with successful NGO and/or government interaction and a deep understanding of the challenges and opportunities across various sectors. The candidate should have the following competencies:
- Background: PhD or Master’s degree level education with a preference for technical and policy background. Industry experience and good understanding of an emerging technologies and trends.
- Experience: minimum 15 years’ experience, of which at least 10 years in the private sector.
- Strategy & Project management: Demonstrate superb project management / organizational skills to strategically structure a multi-year program with accountability for meeting budget and schedule commitments while pragmatically delivering real results.
- Facilitation and stakeholder engagement: Evidence of successfully engaging with a wide range of different stakeholders (from CEO to technical experts, governments and other stakeholders) and creating shared vision across diverse groups.
- Capacity to work independently, proactively address problems and work to deadlines.
- Communication: Engaging communicator across cultures both in person and in writing, ability to adjust style of communication to suit audience (e.g. present technical topics to a non-technical audience).
- Multi-Tasking: Ability to work with and for multiple work streams simultaneously.
- Bring and convey passion and drive to attract and motivate additional companies, organizations and individuals to the project.
- Show diplomacy and sensitivity to different opinions and approaches, managing a range of views and interests with first class negotiating and facilitation skills.
- Language skills: Fluency in English (written and spoken) is critical, fluency in additional languages is an advantage.
The position is full-time and based in Geneva, Switzerland, but will also require international travel.
The WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking, and action-oriented organization, characterized by diversity of gender, nationalities, and work experiences.
In terms of work environment, we offer a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in New Delhi, London and New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State of the art facilities and ICT enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- International relocation support
- Sustainable commuting incentives
- Annual community service
Please also note that the WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process