May 27, 2019
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. WBCSD is uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world where more than nine billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.
The Communications team and the Office of the President are recruiting a Communication Associate to act as advisor and writer to provide strategic communication support to the President and CEO (fixed-term contract of 6 months). This is an exceptional opportunity to work closely with the President and CEO in supporting his communications activities at the highest level, and to be deeply involved with WBCSD engagement with member companies as well as key stakeholders including government, civil society and other groups.
Reporting to the Communications Director, the incumbent will perform the duties that include, but are not limited to, contributing to and implementing the public and internal communication strategy for the President; identifying, preparing and evaluating opportunities for communication; drafting and editing presentations, speeches, articles, op-eds, speaking points and other communication; and coordinating and aligning content with internal project teams and external groups.
Responsibilities and duties
- Prepare background information and shape messaging, in coordination with relevant departments and project teams, and in line with the desired identity of WBCSD;
- Oversee logistical preparations for the President’s travels and public speaking opportunities
- Write and edit compelling speeches/speaking points that further the key messages of the President and the mission of the organization;
- Research agendas, topics, speakers, audience expectations and work with the President to focus the purpose of each communication and to tailor messages for audience appeal and impact;
- Coordinate with relevant internal departments, services, event organizers, members and delegations to obtain content input;
- Work closely with the Communication team to ensure consistency of messages, and promote speeches and articles through publications, digital platforms and social media and external outlets;
- Identify opportunities for media engagement and public communications of the President, in collaboration with the communication team;
- Manage the President's organizational social media presence in close collaboration with the communication team;
- Ensure quality of messaging and coherence of style in the President's public presentations.
- Take a leading role in planning and publishing social media content
- Work with internal stakeholders to draft, proof-read and produce written publications
- Take a lead role in coordinating WBCSD’s written and audio Panorama platform
- Draft and publish regular written content, including newsletters
- Draft and publish press releases for the Organization
- Solid understanding of sustainability affairs and trends;
- Understanding the sensitive aspects of working with high-level executives
- Two to three years of confirmed experience in strategic communications and writing in public and/or international affairs;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, corporate communication, journalism or equivalent through experience;
- Experience using and organizing media relations, digital and social media, and events.
- Experience of drafting and implementing communication strategies
- Proven experience in proof-reading and publication of external documents
- An advanced knowledge of digital and social media advertising is an advantage
- Experience of working in or closely with the media is an advantage
- Proven ability to write thoughtful and high-impact communication material;
- Excellent writing, editing and analytical skills, including in social media;
- Capacity to work independently under pressure with tight deadlines;
- Excellent PowerPoint skills, or capacity to learn;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and capacity to work effectively in a small team and together with a range of departments;
- Fluent English compulsory, with experience working in English-speaking environments, other languages an asset;
- Position in the hierarchy The Communication Associate reports to the Communication Director and works directly under the supervision of the Communication Manager. This post is based in Geneva and requires some international travel.
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterised by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
The Work Environment:
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in London, New Delhi, Singapore and New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- International relocation support
- Sustainable commuting incentives
- Annual community service
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.