|Published||4 August 2022|
Deadline for application: 06 October 2022
WBCSD is the premier global, CEO-led community of over 200 of the world’s leading sustainable businesses working collectively to accelerate the system transformations needed for a net zero, nature positive, and more equitable future.
We do this by engaging executives and sustainability leaders from business and elsewhere to share practical insights on the obstacles and opportunities we currently face in tackling the integrated climate, nature and inequality sustainability challenge; by co-developing “how-to” CEO-guides from these insights; by providing science-based target guidance including standards and protocols; and by developing tools and platforms to help leading businesses in sustainability drive integrated actions to tackle climate, nature and inequality challenges across sectors and geographical regions.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing a combined revenue of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. Since 1995, WBCSD has been uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability, united by our vision of creating a world in which 9+ billion people are living well, within planetary boundaries, by mid-century.
Over 200 companies have signed the "Business Ambition for 1.5°C" pledge, committing to has net-zero Future. Most companies are still early in their decarbonization journey. Progressing in the decarbonization journey implies an in-depth transformation along with sustained innovation in business models and products. To assist our member companies, in 2021 WBCSD launched its climate program Safe Operating Space for 1.5°C ("SOS1.5"). The program accelerates corporate decarbonization implementation and advance climate accounting:
- Accelerating the transition to Net Zero: capacity building and how-to guidance on building a decarbonization strategy and its operationalization across the business
- Advancing Climate Accounting: collective climate standards advancements with a focus on the GHG Protocol and Carbon Transparency
We are seeking an Associate who is supporting the Net Zero Acceleration workstreams of SOS 1.5. Capacity building and how-to guidance are delivered by bespoke offers of masterclasses and workstreams on the fundamentals of decarbonization, low-carbon manufacturing and supply chain decarbonization. To help scale the knowledge and accelerate action, it is envisioned to build a digital platform that incorporates learning, best practice exchange and collaboration with suppliers along the full decarbonization journey.
- Support the running of climate action workstreams that enable corporate mitigation by creating and delivering cross-sector outputs with members.
- Contribute to the evolution of the SOS 1.5 project to drive efficiency and value.
- Collaborate with the wider external climate ecosystem and partners for WBCSD climate action outputs.
- Prepare and help facilitate member meetings to keep workstream momentum and attain member engagement.
- A Master’s degree, or equivalent in environmental science or sustainability.
- 2-3 years of experience in decarbonization project delivery, working with formal and informal teams.
- A fundamental understanding of the current “state of play” of global decarbonization and the challenges of corporate decarbonization, as well a passion to transform this.
- An action orientation with evidence of mobilizing stakeholders to deliver results.
- Excellent communication skills in person and in writing, with the ability to adjust style of communication to suit audience.
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint presentation capabilities.
- Highly organized and proactive with the ability to effectively prioritize and work across multiple workstreams.
- Fluency in written and spoken English, other languages welcome.
- Good team spirit and the ability to build, nurture and work effectively in teams of partners/stakeholders, able to interact with senior representatives of member companies.
The position is full-time and based in a country with a WBCSD office.
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterised by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
The Work Environment
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in Amsterdam, Beijing, Delhi, London, New York and Singapore
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- Regional or International relocation support
- Sustainable commuting incentives
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.