October 18, 2019
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is seeking a professional to join its Climate & Energy team, to lead the International Climate Policy work of the We Mean Business coalition. This is a full-time position based at the WBCSD offices in Geneva, Switzerland, reporting to the
Director, Climate & Energy. Remote-working arrangements can be made for exceptional candidates.
Leveraging its strong relationships with stakeholders, WBCSD helps drive debate and policy change in favour of sustainable development solutions. WBCSD is also a founding partner organization of the We Mean Business coalition, a coalition of non-profit organizations who work with leading businesses to catalyze business action and drive policy ambition to accelerate the zero-carbon transition around the world.
The primary objective of this position is to lead the development and execution of a partner-driven, collaborative strategy that helps leading global businesses to unite behind common advocacy objectives and messages to effectively advocate for more ambitious climate policy in the lead up to and at major international moments.
Responsibilities and duties
- Draft and manage the development of the We Mean Business coalition’s international climate policy strategy and plans vis-à-vis global forums, in a manner that represents and maximizes the strengths of the coalition.
- Coordinate and support the development of climate policy messages for the We Mean Business coalition to unite behind at key international moments, as well as tailored messages for interaction with policymakers for key national or regional jurisdictions in the lead up to and at international moments.
- Monitor key international climate policy and regulatory developments and identify primary advocacy targets at key moments.
- Collaborate with the We Mean Business coalition’s partner organizations - BSR, CDP, Ceres, The B Team, The Climate Group, The Prince of Wales’s Corporate Leaders Group and WBCSD - in outreach activities towards policy-makers.
- Develop substantive content needed for the execution of the strategy (e.g. position papers, talking points or letters, briefings for business) on behalf of the coalition.
- Represent the We Mean Business coalition within the business community, among policymakers and other stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key policymakers and stakeholder organizations including COP Presidencies, G7/G20 Sherpas, UNFCCC / MPGCA teams, summit hosts, etc.
- Identify and develop opportunities for effective We Mean Business coalition representation and visibility in key climate moments.
- Work directly with the coalition communications teams to develop and execute related communication strategies.
- Experience: minimum 10 years’ relevant experience, of which at least 4 years in international climate policy/diplomacy, including UNFCCC, G7/G20 or other relevant international climate policy moments. Experience in major economy and/or private sector multinational company in a policy analysis/development role a major advantage.
- Education: Master’s university degree level education with an economics/political sciences focus. Other degrees will be accepted if candidate has strong policy analysis/development experience.
- Knowledge and expertise: Fluency in key climate change policy and regulatory concepts. Experience of analyzing legislative and policy texts, and issue advocacy. Evidence of effective translation between policy/regulation and business strategy. Strong understanding of the outlook for key climate policy trends.
- Facilitation and stakeholder engagement: Evidence of successfully facilitating complex projects and meetings with many diverse interests, good team spirit and proven ability to build, nurture, and work effectively in (new) teams of partners/stakeholders. Capacity to be assertive and take initiative when appropriate. Ability and desire to work with coalition partners on developing and executing policy advocacy strategies to achieve policy goals and desired outcomes
- Project management: Attention to detail and proven ability to manage and lead the execution of complex multi-stakeholder projects or campaigns, including ability to manage competing priorities and ad hoc demands simultaneously, set priorities, effectively utilize available resources, identify and proactively address problems, working to deadlines.
- Communication: Excellent communicator across languages and cultures both in person and in writing. Evidence of ability to translate between policy and business audiences, and to work closely with communications teams on messaging and content.
- Language skills: Fluent in English (written and spoken). Fluency in additional languages is an advantage.
The position is full-time and based in Geneva, Switzerland, but will also require international travel.
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterised by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
The Work Environment:
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in New Delhi, London, New York City, Beijing and Singapore.
- Competitive compensation and benefits.
- State of the art facilities and ICT enabled working tools.
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities.
- Dynamic working atmosphere.
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions.
- International relocation support.
- Sustainable commuting incentives.
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.
If applicable, WBCSD will organize the Swiss working permit application for the successful candidate and this process is simplified for candidates who are Swiss or currently holders of a valid Swiss working permit. Candidates should be aware that a working permit is subject to approval by the Swiss authorities.
Since we intend to fill the position as soon as possible, WBCSD will contact suitable applicants immediately, even before the deadline expires.
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. WBCSD is uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Leveraging its strong relationships with stakeholders, WBCSD helps drive debate and policy change in favour of sustainable development solutions.
WBCSD is also a founding partner organization of the We Mean Business coalition, a coalition of non-profit organizations who work with leading businesses to catalyze business action and drive policy ambition to accelerate the zero-carbon transition around the world. Together, we are a leading voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world where more than nine billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.