February 15, 2018
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a CEO-led organization of forward-thinking companies that galvanizes the global business community to create a sustainable future for business, society and the environment. Together with its members, the council applies its respected thought leadership and effective advocacy to generate constructive solutions and take shared action. Leveraging its strong relationships with stakeholders as the leading advocate for business, the council helps drive debate and policy change in favor of sustainable development solutions.
Established in January 2006, the Tire Industry Project (TIP) works under the umbrella of the WBCSD. The purpose of TIP is to anticipate, study and determine potential environmental and health issues relating to the whole life cycle of tires that could impact the tire industry globally and communicate results to the appropriate stakeholders. This project is chaired by the three largest tire manufacturers – Bridgestone, Goodyear, and Michelin – and currently includes a total of eleven companies representing approximately 65% of the world's tire manufacturing capacity.
The Communications Manager will assist with the development and execution of the communications strategy for TIP, for a minimum of two years. This function will report to TIP’s Director and work directly with the TIP Communications Working Group. This is a fixed-term contract of 2 years and to start as soon as possible.
This position will play a critical part in helping to promote TIP’s reputation among media, NGO’s and other stakeholders in the industry. Also, this position will be responsible for the coordination of communication efforts between the member companies and other existing TIP working groups, while administrates the communications working group agenda.
- Propose and execute communications strategy per approval of TIP members (annual and monthly plans)
- Propose and maintain an annual communications plan with clear objectives, strategies, and tactics aligned with TIP's business objectives
- Provide communications leadership and input for all strategic planning processes with the TIP members.
- Work closely with TIP members to develop and maintain consistent messaging regarding TIPs mission, goals and research
- Proactively manage communication strategy for emerging issues, crisis communication, and public relations for TIP
- Execute strategic communication methodologies with critical stakeholders, NGOs or Authorities to provide right needs and/or plans to conduct by TIP
- Execute appropriate communication with technical persons by gathering advices from technical experts ( Appropriate academy or society etc.)
- Develop content for general TIP communication (toolkit, web content, press releases, newsletters)
- Develop content for TIP working groups
- Review and edit content developed by consultants for TIP working groups
- Manage social media protocol
- Develop content and identify executive visibility plan and activation
- Develop content for TIP briefings (key stakeholders identified by TIP members as issues emerge)
- Participate in TIP meetings and calls, provide updates to TIP members on communications strategy as needed
- Consult with the Assurance Group or Advisory Board for specific program to decide further plans
- Manage KPIs related to communications strategy to continuously monitor, measure, and improve the effectiveness of communication initiatives
- Develop tools for more effective communications between TIP members and working group
- Organize all TIP communications for availability to TIP members and general audiences where appropriate
- Prepare TIP spokespeople for engagements on behalf of TIP including media engagement
- Prepare meeting minutes
- Bachelor's degree (master's degree preferred) in communications, English, journalism or public relations
- Superior written/oral communications in English, research, proofreading, interpersonal and leadership skills
- 8-10 years’ experience developing communications content and executing a communications strategy, preferably for a non-profit or industry organization
- Strong project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects on tight deadlines
- Global mindset coupled with hands-on experience working across geographies to build and nurture relationships with diverse groups and individuals
- Experience with reporting and evaluating communication effectiveness
- Experience in the management of graphic design projects, such as invitations, collateral, brochures, newsletters, and multimedia projects, such as videos.
- Demonstrated experience with presentation tools such as PowerPoint
- Familiarity with public relations strategies and brand development and standards
- An excellent understanding of the media on a regional, national and an international level
- Knowledge of Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) principles, trends and global standards and regulations.
Please also note that the WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.