Associate, Forest Solutions Group
|Published||3 March 2023|
|Location||London, Geneva, Amsterdam, Netherlands|
Deadline for application: 20 March 2023
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is the premier global, CEO-led community of over 200 of the world’s leading sustainable businesses working collectively to accelerate the system transformations needed for a net zero, nature-positive and more equitable future.
We share a vision of a world in which more than 9 billion people are able to live well, within planetary boundaries, by 2050. To achieve this vision, we must collectively accelerate the required transformation of businesses, their value chains, and the systems in which they operate to limit the impact of the climate crisis, restore nature and tackle inequality.
How our community works
Our community leads positive change through our imperative work by building the infrastructure of a better world through climate, nature and equity action. In our distinct pathways, we outline the critical transitions required in some of the significant areas of business activity to profoundly shift the systems we work in and transform them towards a better future. Together we succeed when our collective effort is rewarded through a lower cost of capital, which is the scope of our redefining value work; helping companies measure and manage risk, gain competitive advantage and seize new opportunities by understanding environmental, social and governance (ESG) information.
WBCSD stimulates progress by ideating & level-setting new best practices and trends from different expertise & sectors. By improving performance, we enable standards and protocols supported by tools and technology to solidify businesses’ sustainability competence. We build partnerships by bringing together members and external partners to create coalitions and partnerships and build scale into change. Finally, we drive the policy agenda by amplifying the voice of positive business and shaping policies collaboratively to transform the systems we work in.
Our work aims to empower business leaders to raise their ambition to achieve a better world, deliver action at speed and scale in their operations and value chains, and sharpen the accountability of their performance.
WBCSD’s Forest Solutions Group (FSG) is the global platform where leading business in the forest products sector build and share sustainable development solutions. FSG’s mission is to grow an inclusive circular bioeconomy that is rooted in thriving working forests. Our member companies span all forested continents and a broad range of forest products such as pulp, paper, packaging, timber, biomaterials, bioenergy and forest asset management. They represent a combined revenue of more than USD $165 billion and 260’000 employees. Together they own, lease or manage more than 20 million hectares of land, of which 98% is third party certified and 24% is set aside for conservation or restoration.
FSG members co-develop actionable business solutions to drive progress within their business, the sector and broader society to address the climate emergency, the loss of nature and growing inequality. The Forest Sector SDG Roadmap released in 2019 provides FSG’s framework for action, and its members track and report on their progress annually through key performance indicators.
The WBCSD’s Forest Solutions Group (FSG) is seeking a highly motivated associate, eager to work with leading business in the forest sector to drive progress on their sustainability strategies. The successful candidate will join the FSG team, report to the FSG Director, and work in close collaboration with the FSG manager, other colleagues within WBCSD, as well as external service providers (e.g., consultants).
The successful candidate will lead and/or contribute to the ongoing work of the FSG in the following areas:
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs): As a sign of shared commitment and as a condition of membership, FSG members endorse and adhere to a set of Membership Principles & Responsibilities, and report annually on KPIs to track progress towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Communications workstream: FSG’s ongoing communication workstream focuses on the development and delivery of a steady cadence of deliverables throughout the year such as reports, tools, case studies etc. These are shared on FSG’s Webpage and through WBCSD and FSG social media channels (e.g., FSG LinkedIn page).
- Forest Sector Net-Zero Roadmap: Building on Phase I delivered in 2021, in 2023 FSG will deliver a catalogue of decarbonization levers to support forest companies in addressing the GHG emissions hotspots along the value chain of three product categories: engineered wood products, consumer packaging, and fiber-based textiles.
- Forest Sector Nature Positive Roadmap: Building on Phase I delivered in 2022, in 2023 FSG will deliver forest sector guidance to the Taskforce on Nature-related Disclosures (TNFD).
Responsibilities and duties
- Lead FSG’s Key Performance Indicator project, including data collection (from FSG members), analysis, and communication of the results to the members and externally.
- Lead the implementation FSG’s communication plan, including working with WBCSD’s comms team on the design and delivery of 2023 deliverables (media release, social media campaign etc.), and keep growing FSG’s LinkedIn page through regular posts linked to FSG’s areas of work.
- Provide support on ongoing FSG projects (Net-Zero, Nature Positive Roadmaps), includes conducting research, developing and delivering communications materials, and overall coordination of the project.
- Support the design and delivery of FSG’s two annual Strategy Meetings (rotating locations), as well as FSG’s participation in WBCSD events (Liaison Delegate meeting, Council Meeting). This includes the logistics, workshop design and on-site delivery, meeting minutes etc.
- Provide support to the members of the FSG for ad-hoc requests by acting as a point of contact within the FSG secretariat.
Qualifications Skills and Experience
- University-level degree or equivalent in sustainable development, business management, forestry, or other related discipline.
- 2-5 years’ of relevant work experience in corporate sustainability, strategy or environmental consultancy, project management or similar.
- Demonstrated interest in, and ideally experience with, the forest sector, corporate sustainability with focus on nature and climate strategies.
- Past experience in data analysis and interpretation (working in Microsoft Excel).
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating and managing projects or teams working towards a common goal.
- Communication: Fluency in written and spoken English, experience in developing and delivering content in Microsoft PowerPoint, and through social media.
- Previous experience working within multidisciplinary project teams across different time zones and cultures.
- Ability to multi-task and manage own projects and ad hoc demands simultaneously.
The position is for a full time, fixed-term contract of 12 months with opportunities for extension. It will be based in Amsterdam, London with Geneva also considered.
Candidates should be available to start by 2 May 2023, attending WBCSD’s Liaison Delegate meeting in Montreux, Switzerland 2-4 May 2023.
The Work Environment
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in Amsterdam, Beijing, London, New York and Singapore
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- International relocation support
- Sustainable commuting incentives
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.