|Published||21 April 2022|
|Location||London UK, Amsterdam Netherlands, Geneva, Switzerland|
Deadline for applications: 19 May 2022
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the environment and societies.
Our member companies come from all business sectors and all major economies, representing combined revenues of more than USD $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our members unparalleled reach across the globe. Since 1995, WBCSD has been uniquely positioned to work with member companies along and across value chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most challenging sustainability issues.
Together, we are the leading voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world where more than nine billion people are all living well and within the boundaries of our planet, by 2050.
With current efforts to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions not on track to meet the targets of the Paris Agreement, external and internal pressures to accelerate decarbonization are intensifying for the business community, which is largely seen as responsible for pulling the dial into the necessary direction. As companies advance along their decarbonization journey, all will, however, face a common challenge: accurately understanding the Scope 3 GHG emissions that occur along their value chain and typically constitute the lion’s share of their emissions. Today, these emissions remain a big unknown, in particular when considering the individual product footprint, as they are difficult to quantify and obtain.
The Partnership for Carbon Transparency (PACT) seeks to address this challenge by developing the methodological and technical tools required to allow for and facilitate the exchange of emissions data based on a common approach. Bringing together business stakeholders from across value chains and sectors, industry-focused initiatives, standard setting bodies and leading technology companies, the ultimate objective of the project is the creation of a data sharing network which will enable and encourage emissions transparency. The resulting understanding of individual product carbon footprints will set the right tracks for targeted decarbonisation action at the needed scale by unlocking a variety of use cases within businesses and beyond.
We are now looking for an experienced individual to join an expanding team to manage and lead the development and growth of PACT. This is a unique opportunity to become part of a truly ground-breaking project at the intersection of business, sustainability and technology, which has a major impact potential and will help accelerate decarbonization.
Responsibilities and duties
- Lead development and implementation of project strategy
- Drive engagement and support members in
- Developing tangible solutions to understand and manage value chain carbon emissions
- Collaborating with other stakeholders across the ecosystem (incl. standard setting organizations, disclosure and reporting bodies, regulators) sharing a common mission
- Run the day-to-day activities of the project, including delivery of different workstreams outcomes and regular project group meetings
- Plan, coordinate and deliver workshops, webinars, facilitated meetings and other virtual and in-person events
- Define opportunities for collaboration with external partners
- Manage a team of ~3-5 WBCSD staff and member secondees
- Engage with and create synergies with other program areas within WBCSD
- Represent PACT at core events, within the business community and among other stakeholders
- Work with our comms team to prepare outreach materials, presentations and publications
We are looking for an experienced candidate with a strong interest in sustainability, who can demonstrate the following skills and capabilities:
- Good grasp of the fundamental challenges of climate change, in particular in the context of business
- Master’s degree (preferred) with several years of professional experience
- Extensive track record and demonstrated experience in the management of complex projects and diverse teams
- Capable of synthetizing complex topics, articulating challenges and determining strategic priorities and solutions
- Ability to engage, build trust with and drive consensus among senior stakeholders from public and private sector with different perspectives and interests
- Collaborative, people-centric and “can do” attitude with a strong team player ethos
- Fluency in written and spoken English
The position is full-time and based in Amsterdam, Geneva or London (depending on candidate’s preference), but will also require some international travel with flexibility.
WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking and action-oriented organization, characterized by diversity of gender, nationalities and work experiences.
The work environment
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in Amsterdam, London, New Delhi, Singapore and New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- International relocation support
Please also note that WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.