February 24, 2017
Job title: Associate - Redefining Value
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Benefits: Competitive salary. 25 days holiday plus closure between Christmas and New Year
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global CEO-led coalition of forward-thinking companies striving to create a sustainable future for business, society and the environment. We use thought leadership, effective advocacy, and collaborative action to generate business solutions for a sustainable world. The WBCSD comprises around 200 companies from over 35 countries and 22 sectors, collectively representing an estimated:
- 19 million employees
- 8.5 USD trillion annual revenues
- 6 USD trillion market capitalization
WBCSD’s vision for the economy is that by 2050 a business should be measured by its ‘True Value’ and that businesses disclose and use ‘True Costs’ and ‘True Profits’ in their internal and external reporting. This means that economic growth is decoupled from environmental and material consumption and re-coupled to sustainable economic development and meeting needs. Profit and loss, progress and value creation, are redefined to consider longer-term environmental impacts as well as personal and societal well-being. Most importantly, prices reflect all externalities - costs and benefits.
The Redefining Value program aims to achieve this vision through the following work programs:
- Enhanced Disclosure for Effective Decision Making
- Reporting Matters
- Risk Management
- The Reporting Exchange (www.reportingexchange.com)
The WBCSD is seeking a numerate, detailed oriented, highly motivated, hands-on, self-starter to join the Redefining Value team in our Geneva Office.
The role will support the RV program with three primary objectives:
- the delivery of the annual Reporting Matters publication
- the ongoing development and support for the Reporting Exchange platform
- measuring the impact of all aspects of the Redefining Value program
The successful candidate will report to the Manager, Redefining Value.
The applicant will specifically be responsible for:
- Leading the development and evolution of the Reporting Matters publication including writing copy and analyzing data to identify trends and best practice.
- Conducting detailed reviews of WBCSD members’ sustainability reports using a standard methodology to assess the effectiveness of reporting and providing feedback to WBCSD member companies.
- Supporting the development of a monitoring and evaluation framework for the Conversation and Financial Markets initiative and conducting reviews to evaluate the effectiveness and performance.
- Supporting the delivery of the Reporting Exchange project including managing and engaging with Global Network partners and other external stakeholders.
- Drafting progress reports against Redefining Value deliverables for management, partners and funders.
- Support the Redefining Value Managing Director and Manager with administrative and operational activities including managing the interactions with the member companies, facilitating meetings and delivering engaging webinars.
- Contributing to the overall strategic direction of the Redefining Value project as necessary.
The ideal candidate profile includes:
- Education: Undergraduate level education in a subject related to business degree and sustainability.
- Experience: Ideally, the candidate should have 1-2 years’ work experience, with knowledge of corporate sustainability reporting and associated standards, guidelines and frameworks and an understanding of policy developments on key sustainability and reporting issues.
- Previous experience of working with and leading a multidiscipline project team on an international basis to deal with differing languages, time zones and cultural expectations would be advantageous.
- Analytical and Innovative: Strong numeric and analytical skills including excellent IT proficiency, data management through Salesforce CRM, other database applications and Excel. Experience of working on or managing innovative web development projects would be advantageous.
- Communications: Strong facilitation, presentation, and writing skills with the ability to present complex issues in a clear and compelling manner to a wide variety of audiences and stakeholders.
- Team orientated: Good team spirit and enthusiasm to work in a multi-cultural environment and the ability to build, nurture and work effectively in team and with project members, partners and stakeholders.
- Self starter: Capacity to take initiative and work independently towards agreed objectives.
- Multi-tasking: Strong prioritization, time management and organization skills, with an ability to work effectively under pressure, whilst still paying attention to detail and maintaining a strategic overview.
- Language skills: Fluent, first class written and spoken English, with other languages considered an asset.
The position is full-time, permanent basis, and based in Geneva, Switzerland. This position will require the successful candidate to travel internationally. Occasional weekend and evening work may be required.