December 8, 2017
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development is a CEO-led organization of forward-thinking companies that galvanizes the global business community to create a sustainable future for business, society and the environment. Together with its members, the council applies its respected thought leadership and effective advocacy to generate constructive solutions and take shared action. Leveraging its strong relationships with stakeholders as the leading advocate for business, the council helps drive debate and policy change in favor of sustainable development solutions.
The Redefining Value (RV) program aims to achieve this vision through projects that tackle internal decision making, external reporting and investor decision making.
The WBCSD is seeking an innovative, detail oriented, highly motivated, hands-on, self-starter to join the Redefining Value team in our Geneva office.
The role will support the RV program with two primary objectives:
- Supporting the delivery of the Reporting Exchange 2.0; and
- Supporting the measurement and evaluation of the impact of various Redefining Value projects
The Reporting Exchange (www.reportingexchange.com) is the global resource for sustainability reporting which was launched by WBCSD in September 2017. It has been developed in partnership with the Climate Disclosure Standards Board and Ecodesk to help WBCSD member companies and others navigate the increasingly complex landscape of reporting requirements, frameworks, tools and guidance. The project team have worked with over 40 partner organizations to research and map some 1700+ reporting provisions across 60 countries. WBCSD have recently successfully secured funding to continue work on the Reporting Exchange 2.0 until March 2019.
WBCSD has also received significant funding from the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation to implement ground breaking projects on risk management, disclosure, governance and assurance which require monitoring and evaluation of impact. Part of the role will involve working on this M&E process which is built on WBCSD’s Reporting matters reviews and publication.
Role & Responsibilities
- Supporting the development of the Reporting Exchange 2.0 with the objective of:
- Integrating a library of ESG indicators into the Reporting Exchange;
- Integrating a database of ranking and rating providers into the Reporting Exchange; and
- Developing comparison and analytical tools.
- Collaborating with our technical development team to refine existing functionality and user experience to ensure the Reporting Exchange platform performs in line with industry best practice.
- Collaborating with external consultants and technical development team to investigate, develop and implement a business model for the Reporting Exchange.
- Supporting the overall delivery of the Reporting Exchange project including managing and engaging with collaboration partners, Global Network partners and other external stakeholders.
- Supporting the Redefining team in the measurement and evaluation of funded projects by conducting detailed reviews of ESG disclosure in mainstream reports.
- Supporting the Redefining Value Managing Director and Manager with administrative and operational activities including managing the interactions with member companies, facilitating working group meetings and delivering engaging webinars.
- Drafting progress and financial reports against Reporting Exchange deliverables for management, partners and funders.
- Contributing to the overall strategic direction of the Redefining Value project as necessary.
Required competencies include:
- Education: Undergraduate level education in a subject related to business or IT and sustainability.
- Experience: Ideally, the candidate should have 3-4 years’ work experience, strong numeric and analytical skills including excellent IT proficiency. Experience of managing innovative web development projects would be a significant advantage.
- Knowledge of corporate sustainability reporting and associated standards, guidelines and frameworks. An understanding of policy developments on key sustainability and reporting issues would be a significant asset.
- Previous experience working with and leading a multidiscipline project team on an international basis to deal with differing languages, time zones and cultural expectations would be advantageous.
- Communications: Strong facilitation, presentation, and writing skills with the ability to present complex issues in a clear and compelling manner to a wide variety of audiences and stakeholders.
- Team orientated: Good team spirit and enthusiasm to work in a multi-cultural environment and the ability to build, nurture and work effectively in team and with project members, partners and stakeholders.
- Self-starter: Capacity to take initiative and work independently towards agreed objectives.
- Multi-tasking: Strong prioritization, time management and organization skills, with an ability to work effectively under pressure, whilst still paying attention to detail and maintaining a strategic overview.
- Language skills: fluent, first class written and spoken English, with other languages considered an asset.
The position is a full-time, fixed term position until March 2019 based at the WBCSD offices in Geneva, Switzerland, reporting to the Manager, Redefining Value.
This position will require the successful candidate to travel internationally. Occasional weekend and evening work may be required.
The organization offers:
The WBCSD is a purpose driven, forward-thinking, and action-oriented organization, characterized by diversity of gender, nationalities, and work experiences.
We are guided by the following points:
- Sustainability generalist positions with exposure to and direct influence of the global sustainable development agenda
- The opportunity to facilitate groups made up of senior business executives and sustainability leaders with diverse interests to reach a common goal or vision
- Prospects for challenging hands-on experiences and enhanced learning through exposure to international working group and high-level meetings
- Springboard to independent consulting and sustainability-focused roles in private and public organizations through the network and skillset acquired or enhanced at WBCSD (negotiation, diplomacy, multi-stakeholder approach, etc.)
In terms of work environment, we offer a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in New Delhi, London and New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State of the art facilities and ICT enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- International relocation support
- Sustainable commuting incentives
- Annual community service
Please also note that the WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.